Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

my internet has not been working for over 2weeks. A techician…

Customer Question
my internet has not been...
my internet has not been working for over 2weeks. A techician told use we needed a new Linksy router. So I got one. Since then, for 3 days I have been trying to set it up and no results. Not only is there still no wireless connection, but the linksy software won't even go pass certain stages. Only way internet works is if I connect the cord directly into my laptop. What do I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: Mr. Clark, Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Reconnect your modem back to your router.

Look on the back of the Linksys router. You will see a Reset button. You will need a toothpick or paper clip to push this button in. With the power to the Linksys on, push down the Reset button for 60 second (uninterrupted). If you let go before the 60 seconds, just start over.

Once this is complete, Turn off the Cable/DSL modem (unplug the power), turn off your Linksys router (unplug the power). Wait 30 seconds. Plug in only the Cable/DSL modem. Allow the modem to boot up. When the modem sync light is lit up (after about 60 seconds), plug in the power for your Linksys router.

This will allow your Cable/DSL modem to register the Mac address of your Netgear router.

After doing this, access your Airport on your Mac and see if you can connect to the Linksys network and then to the Internet.

Please update me on the results.
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
How can I update you with results if I go offline?
Press CTRL and D to bookmark this page on in your internet browser.

Alternatively, go to this URL to return to this page:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3o5vs-my-internet-has-not-been-working-for-over-2weeks-a-techician
Hello Mr. Clark.

I did everything you said, and once again it was unsuccessful. I tried it 3 times. Still no signal shows. (at first there was a half a bar, but then it turned into nothing)
Is the Linksys network available on your MacBook?
Yes it is available. However, there is not signal next to it. We have been using Linksys for about 5 years prior to this sudden mishap.
What about other networks? Are other networks available? Do you have any unsecured networks that you can try to connect to?

I'm trying to isolate the point of failure (MacBook vs. Linksys).

Thank you.
No all other networks are private.
Do you have another wireless PC, Mac, or laptop that you can test to see if it can connect to your Linksys router?
Yes. I did try it on another Macbook Pro. I do have an old dell laptop, it works, but is rarely used. I suppose I will try it with that then get back to you.
Okay. If you cannot connect on the Dell laptop, the problem is your Linksys router, since you are unable to connect on two MacBook Pro laptops and the Dell laptop.

Based on the information you have given me (the Linksys being 5+ years old), it would safe to say that the Linksys is probably done, but that is my early diagnosis. Most routers only have a 2-3 year lifespan, so 5 years is fantastic, you used it beyond it's average life cycle.

But try to Dell and get back to me. Thanks.
Once again it did not work. It is true we had our router for about 4 years; however we JUST bought a new linksys router last week, so we have ameliorated that problem.
So you are using the new Linksys? A few statements up, you stated you had been using the Linksys for 5 years until the suddenly mishap.

If you are using the new Linksys, and you have 3 wireless laptops that are not connecting, the point of failure, by logic, is the router.

Your wireless cards in each device see other wireless connections (the other secure networks) so that proves that those three wireless cards are working.

I can only recommend attempting the hard reset (60 second paper clip method) as stated earlier and attempt to reboot your modem and routers in the sequence stated above, and attempt to connect to the default Linksys network again.

Are their more than one Linksys network? Be sure you are connecting to the one with the highest signal.
Thanks for your help. I am not optimistic this will work as I have been doing it for 4 hours. The logic is our Linksys router was not working, therefore a new one should fix the problem. However it did not. So apparently this is beyond any level of expertise at the moment. I will continue trying, but as you can imagine we are quite fed up with the system and will probably consider returning it and switching our internet services.
If you are paying for service and the technician advised you to purchase a new router and you did so, and you are still unable to connect; the ISP should send the technician to your home to correct the issue.

If they cannot correct the issue, I would advise changing ISP as well.

Based on the information you have given me, all three of your laptops can "see" other networks but when attempting to connect to your Linksys network, it fails. If the laptops can "see" other networks, there is nothing wrong with the laptops. We have now reset the Linksys back to factory, twice, so if there was a setting that was causing the disconnect, it should have been wiped. So that only leaves the router as the point of failure.

I would contact your ISP, tell them to either get a technician to your house, fix the problem for all three of your laptops, without charging you a fee (be careful they will sneak a charge in there if you don't say something), or you are leaving their company and going to a competitor. If a first line customer service rep tries to tell you no or it can't be done, ask for a manager. If the manager tells you no, as for the supervisor or director.

That is my recommendation and that is what I would do in your scenario. Good luck.