Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Linksys RT31P2 Broadband Router that was connected…

Customer Question
I have a Linksys RT31P2...
I have a Linksys RT31P2 Broadband Router that was connected to an ATT DSL Modem. That router is connected to a Linksys Wireless Router to service computers in other rooms and is wired to a computer in the same room with the routers and modems. I have replaced ATT with Clear Wireless as an Internet provider. I connected the RT31P2 router to their Home Modem and nothing works. So I connected the wireless router directly to their Home Modem, and I can get signals to my other computers. Can you tell me why I can't use the RT31P2?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: RobCat98, Consultant replied 8 years ago
RobCat98
RobCat98, Consultant

try resetting it. most but not all dsl companies use pppt over the dsl line and the router was set up for it. and the new line does not use it would be my first guess.

either log into the router and make sure the wan settings match what your new company needs ( most likely all default pretty much nothing there as it comes out of the modem as plain ethernet ) or try holding the reset button in the back for 30 seconds while you turn it on to get it back to default settings then reprogram as the new company suggests.

Hm, I did reset it by disconnecting power for about a minute. No "reset button" on the back of the router. Not sure how to log onto router. I'm presently using one of the computers connected to the wireless router. I think I have to connect a computer directly to the router but not sure of it's address. If I disconnect cable from Home Modem I'll lose connection to wireless router and lose you.

yeah having more then one cable might help here.

there should be a small button on the back of the router near the power input. it might be inset so that you need a paper clip to press it.

otherwise yes you will have to log in to the router

i found this advice that may work for certain linksys

put the following url into ur browser after you are connected

http://192.168.15.1/admin/resync?209.17.160.136/rt31p2.cfg

it wil reprogram itself at least on certain preprogrammed lynksys

otherwise you should be able to get in by putting 192.168.15.1 into your browser

the default id / password XXXXX admin / admin

there should be a button to reset to defaults or a setup wizard.

that should work for your purposes as you have pure ethernet coming out of the modem port.

Okay, I just tried your suggestions. Pushed the reset button in while cycling power. Held the button for at least 30 seconds. Connected the router to the modem, and no connection through the modem. Plugged the computer directly into the "Internet" port of the router, clicked on the IE logo on the desktop, entered the address in the url and got NOTHING. The message was that it had failed to connect to the internet. WHAT am I doing wrong?

you are putting the cable in the wrong port. the "internet port" is probably the WAN port. that is where the cable from the modem would go. the cable from the computer would go to one of the ports that say LAN or network there should be a group of those and only one WAN port