Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My linksys rounter software says that I need to have administrative…

My linksys rounter software says...
My linksys rounter software says that I need to have administrative rights to modify any setting but it's my own personal computer. I had a live help session when I first set up my new router and I think the representaive set themselves up as administrator and now I can't change it. The problem is that my wireless connection doesn't work and I need to resestablish it but can't wothout the rights. thanks, Felicia
6/26/2010
LANCAT
LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist

To reset your WPA password XXXXX the router which you dont remember all you need to do is connect the computer directly to the router using an ethernet cable the wireless connection will not work at that time.

Open Internet Explorer and enter this address http://192.168.1.1 on the address bar

A login screen will appear:
Enter the default username and password. the global default username and password XXXXX below:
Linksys
http://192.168.1.1
user name: admin
password: admin

You should now be in the setuppage or the console of your router. Click on Wireless, then Wireless Security in the submenu just below it. Your WPA pre-shared key/passphrase is listed on this page. You can change it to whatever you would like, then save the settings. Your WPA password XXXXX XXXXX reset. Please note down the password XXXXX incase you need in future. Remove the network cable from the router and now try connecting wirelessly and enter the password XXXXX prompted and you will be up in running.

All the best

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what you said and found my password XXXXX I haven't been asked for a password XXXXX I try to get into my lynksys app. It just says that I need an administrator and all set up dropdowns are gray. I think that I need to reconnect with my router using the app.

reset it back to the factory defaults. You can restore the router configuration to back to the factory by following the steps outlined below:
Please follow the steps to reset the router to the factory settings.
1. Hold in the reset button of the router for 30 seconds.
2. Unplug your power cord for 30 seconds
3. Plug back your power cord
4. Wait for a few seconds then release the reset button.

NOTE:

¨ When holding in the reset button, make sure that you do not release it until you are sure that it has been compressed for at least 30 seconds or more.

This procedure resets the router back to all its factory default settings thus apart from affecting your username and password, it will also affect your configuration and IP addressing.

Once this is complete, you can now login and reconfigure your password. To do this:

1. Connect a PC to one of the Linksys router Ethernet ports

2. Open your web browser and go to the URL http://192.168.1.1. This will take you to a web page with a popup box which asks you to enter a username and password XXXXX login required to login to your router

3. On older LinkSys routers, the username is XXXXX XXXXX blank and the password XXXXX XXXXX to "admin" (without the quotes). On newer Linksys routers, both the default username and the default password XXXXX set to "admin".

4. Click on login. You have logged in to the Administrator account and are now able to access and change a number of configuration options for your router.

5. Click on management tab then change your administrator password XXXXX any password XXXXX you like. Remember to choose a strong password XXXXX others cannot guess but that will be easy enough for you to remember.

6. You can also choose to reconfigure other aspects of you Linksys router at this point

I've done everythibng byt still the app says I need administrative rights. I still can't get to the internet wirelessly. Do you think I should reinstall the lynksys app?

i would suggest you try installing the linksys apps one time if not fixed i will opt out
LANCAT
LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist

Please reply this message if you need any assistance i will be in touch.

Regards