Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My original setting for my wireless Linksys wrt54gsv.4 was…

Customer Question
My original setting for my...
My original setting for my wireless Linksys wrt54gsv.4 was to have open access (no secure log in). For some reason, it has restricted access for all. I do not know how to reset the system to allow open access. I have been through all the on line instructions, but the problem persists. I have even set a password, but, using the password XXXXX not allow access.
The laptop I am using to access has asked for the Netowk Key. I typed it in and the system took 3 minutes to finally discover that it would not give me access.
My desire is to have an open system (no password, etc).
Can you help me reset up the systems?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: D.Marino, Comptia A + and Network + certified replied 8 years ago
D.Marino
D.Marino, Comptia A + and Network + certified

Hi and Welcome to Just Answers. My name is Denise.

Sometimes it can be the simple things that can help you fix this instead of allot of detailed, step- by steps through your network set up. I read you are using a laptop but say your access is restricted to all. Does this mean all the computers in your home or just anyone who tries to use your laptop to connect? If it is just the one laptop you are having trouble with please try these simple tasks first before we get into any detailed or complicated steps. which of course if you need to I will help you with okay?

1.) Re start your laptop or computer that is directly connected to your router. Try to connect again.

2.) Turn off your laptop and go to the router and look on the back of it for a small black hole. Then straighten out a paper clip and push in the button inside of the router black hole. This will reset it.

3.) Turn the laptop back on and see if you can now connect the way you wanted to.

4.) If not you can simply uninstall the software that came with your router and re-install it which is one quick little way to fix this.

5.) And if nothing above works I will walk you through the step by step on how to set and configure your possible IP issue or command prompt commands to gain access again but, even though the above steps sound to easy they usually will help fix this quickly.

Give it a try and I will be here to help you further if it doesn't work. Thanks Denise

If my answer helped you please hit accept that's how I get paid to work for you. Thanks Denise