Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a D-Link wireless router 802.11g/2.4Ghz connected to…

Customer Question
I have a D-Link wireless...
I have a D-Link wireless router 802.11g/2.4Ghz connected to a Westfall modem supplied by AT&T for my DSL. Recently, I have not been able to get on line from my laptop. I took my laptop to the office and have no trouble getting a wireless connection. Please suggest some steps I can take to correct this problem, make my connection secure, and find the manual for my router.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
LANCAT
LANCAT, Computer Support Specialist

First, locate your cable modem or DSL modem and unplug it to turn it off.

Next, connect your wireless router to your modem. Your modem should stay connected directly to the Internet. Later, after you've hooked everything up, your computer will wirelessly connect to your router, and the router will send communications through your modem to the Internet.

Next, connect your router to your modem:

The instructions below apply to a Linksys wireless router

If you currently have your computer connected directly to your modem: Unplug the network cable from the back of your computer, and plug it into the port labeled Internet, WAN, or WLAN on the back of your router.

If you do not currently have a computer connected to the Internet: Plug one end of a network cable (included with your router) into your modem, and plug the other end of the network cable into the Internet, WAN, or WLAN port on your wireless router.

If you currently have your computer connected to a router: Unplug the network cable connected to the Internet, WAN, or WLAN port from your current router, and plug this end of the cable into the Internet, WAN, or WLAN port on your wireless router. Then, unplug any other network cables, and plug them into the available ports on your wireless router. You no longer need your original router, because your new wireless router replaces it.

Next, plug in and turn on your cable or DSL modem. Wait a few minutes to give it time to connect to the Internet, and then plug in and turn on your wireless router. After a minute, the Internet, WAN, or WLAN light on your wireless router should light up, indicating that it has successfully
connected to your modem.
Using the network cable that came with your wireless router, you should temporarily connect your computer to one of the open network ports on your wireless router (any port that isn't labeled Internet, WAN, or WLAN). If you need to, turn your computer on. It should automatically connect to your router.

Next, open Internet Explorer and type in the address to configure your router.

You might be prompted for a password. The address and password XXXXX use will vary depending on what type of router you have, so refer to the instructions included with your router.

Router Address Username Password

D-Link
http://192.168.0.1
admin

Internet Explorer will show your router's configuration page. Most of the default settings should be fine, but you should configure three things:

Your wireless network name, known as the SSID. This name identifies your network. You should choose something unique that none of your neighbors will be using.

Wireless encryption (WEP) or Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA), which help protect your wireless network. For most routers, you will provide a passphrase that your router uses to generate several keys. Make sure your passphrase is unique and long (you don't need to memorize it).

Your administrative password, which controls your wireless network. Just like any other password, it should not be a word that you can find in the dictionary, and it should be a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Be sure you can remember this password, because you'll need it if you ever have to change your router's settings.

The exact steps you follow to configure these settings will vary depending on the type of router you have. After each configuration setting, be sure to click Save Settings, Apply, or OK to save your changes.

Now, you should disconnect the network cable from your computer.

Connect your computers

I lost my internet connection on this PC and ended up having to go to ATT Support. They took me through the steps to re-connect my modem. I am now on-line through my PC cord going to the back of my D-Link Router.

Now, I need 1,2,3 Steps to wirelessly connect to my D-Link Router. My laptop is still not showing a connection.

When I lost connection I was trying to follow your reply instructions but I needed simpler 1,2,3 steps. What you sent read like something you pulled up from the DLink instructions and they were confusing.

Currently:

1. I am on-line with my PC...2. DLink was powered off and is now on with 4 green lights on..Power WAN WLAN 4....Lights Status 1 2 3 are all OFF.

5 WAN and WLAN lights are blinking. 6. I Can't get on-line through my network with my laptop. Can you help me?

Dont turn off the d-link

as the cable is connecte to the laptop you are able to connect correct.

please open the link below with detailed step by step instructions with picture this will help you a lot and keep the link for future use.

http://support.tivo.com/euf/assets/files/D-Link_router_setup.pdf

I reviewed the link for setting up my DLink. DLink has been installed and worked until recently, I need to know what I need to do to be able to connect to my network from my laptop. In the instructions you sent, I do not see Trouble-Shooting when you can not connect to your network wirelessly.
Are you able to connect wirelessly using the laptop or not?

NO, I can NOT connect wirelessly from my laptop. This is my opening problem. To double-check my laptop, I took it to my office and had no trouble connecting to our office network connection. The problem appears to be with not being able to connect wireless with my DLink Router.

I have to leave for about 30 min. I will be back and check your answer.

Double-click on the WiFi Connection icon. It can be found in the system tray at the bottom of the laptop screen.

Click on properties.

Select the Wireless Networks tab.

Use the Add button at the bottom of the dialog if your WiFi network isn't in the Available Networks section.

Click on Configure when you see your network's SSID in the "Available Networks.

Enter your network's SSID and WEP key.

Click on Start, then choose Connect To and Wireless Network Connection. Your computer should now be able to access the WiFi network. If the WiFi network is connected to the Internet, it should also be able to connect to the Internet.

I am not sure I have communicated so you understand what is going on and could be the problem. I have always been able to connect from this laptop here or wherever. If I am at my office or in a motel, I can see what connections are available. I am not getting my DLink here at home, but I get the connection on this laptop at my office. I am thinking the problem may be in needing to re-set or do something to my DLink that will again allow me to connect to the internet here at home. Please give me a call if you need clarification (XXX-XXX-XXXX).

if your laptop can see other networks apart from the dlink at home that means the laptop is absolutely fine all you need to do is install the dlink firmware and the quick install guode on this computer and then check it should work.

http://www.dlink.co.in/products/?pid=361

I am not blaming you. I kept trying to ask for simple 1, 2, 3 steps and for clarity. I began to question if you (or at one point, someone else) were reading my replies and updates? When I lost the internet following the Linksys instructions, I then decided to go to ATT Tech Support. They were very clear (1, 2, 3) and got me back on line and suggested I got to DLink. I went to DLink and paid them $60 + before we finally determined that the DLink Router needs to be replaced. This was indicated by the WLAN light staying on and not blinking according to the DLink person. What I hoped would take no more than an hour took all day and finally at 6 PM, 8+ hours later, I had been told to buy a new router. Can you comment on this or give me a call XXX-XXX-XXXX. You may wonder about my computer skills and knowledge. I use email and MSWord, Excel, Acrobat, etc. in the business I own and have an outside IT person at work. When I learned about Just Answer, I thought on Saturday morning when I could not reach my IT person, I could pay the $16 and be back on line on my laptop quickly. I hope my reflections will be helpful for you and the next person you work with. I have no problem paying the $16, but I don't want to Accept your Answer without you reviewing our exchanges and trying to understand the difficulty I had the the questions I am raising about how you answered.
I'll open up your question for the other Experts to offer their input on this matter
Another expert would be with you shortly.