Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

cd/dvd is not recognized. device manager says it is due to…

cd/dvd is not recognized. device...
cd/dvd is not recognized. device manager says it is due to registry problem. code 19
6/26/2010
Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant

Hello, please do this to fix the problem....

1) Click Start

2) Type regedit and press enter (in the start search box)

3) Click the > sign for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

4) Click the > sign for SYSTEM

5) Click the > sign for CurrentControlSet

6) Click the > sign for Control

7) Click the > sign for Class

8) Click the Folder {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Now on the right hand side, delete those upper/lower filters and you should have 2 things to delete. Then restart the computer and you should be back to normal again.

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant
how are upper and lower filters listed?

Once you go to where I told you to, there will be there on the Right-Hand Side. You will see Default listed first.

However, you may or may not see them at all, or you may be both of them, and its possible you may see 1 and not the other. Just make sure they are not listed under the section I had you to go to.

:)

You can also try this Microsoft Fix It Tool for this same problem. Sometimes it works and sometimes it dont so its better to do it manually are far as deleting those 2 entries....

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

:)

I deleted lower filter and the mouse pointer froze up so performed a system restore to get going. there is no upper filter.
That doesnt make any snce whatsoever. Its very l so I will sesume this then.
hang in there i know you can solve it. bless you!!!
Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, LAN/WAN Engineer
I will be happy to continue support with you on this. I think first, we should look at the driver.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager and scan for new hardware to install the driver again.

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendor’s Web site.
  1. On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.

If this does not work, you can also try to start your computer from the last know good configuration:

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:
  1. Start your computer.
  2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message (BEFORE the Windows Loading screen appears), press the F8 key.
  3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
  4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

If you have any more issues, please let me know...

_______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Its was late last night so I had to go to sleep. Please ignore the other expert as that will not help.

Did your computer come pre-installed with Windows 7 or did you UPGRADE from Windows Vista to 7?

Upgrade

Thanks! There are 2 known issues with (UPGRADES)...

1) Audio Stop Working

2) DVD/CD-ROM Stop Working

So, as for now, I want to know what type of computer do you have?

Example: Dell Dimension 2400 (Desktop)

Exampel: HP Pavilion DV6000 (Laptop)

?

Dell Inspiron 1505

Thanks! The first thing we are going to do is UPGRADE your BIOS.

Dell Inspiron 6400 (E1505) this is your laptops model. I had this unit last year before I just got my XPS.

DRIVERS/SOFTWARE

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&ServiceTag=&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=&impid=

BIOS - A17

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.asp x?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R158849&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=10430&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=1&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=212350

1) Download Via Internet

2) Save to desktop

3) Right-Click and Run As Admin

4) Flash It

After this is complete, please let me know for your next step!

:)

Is your BIOS now A17? If yes, please go back into your Device Manager for me.

1) Click Start

2) Type Device Manager and press enter (in the start search box)

3) Click the > sign for DVD/CD-ROM drives

what does it have listed here? I need to know the full line of what is (calls) your dvd/cd rom drive to check for a Firmware Upgrade.

Thanks!

drivers\cdrom.sys drivers\blacdbhm.sys drivers\drvmcdb.sys drivers\pfc.sys drivers\pxhelp20.sys bios is a17

Where did you get all of that from lol? Please do this for me.....

1) Click Start

2) Type Device Manager in the start search box and press enter

Now something you should see here will be like....

EXAMPLE: TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633C ATA Device

?

philips dvd+rw sdvd8820 ata device

Thanks! There was an URGENT firmware update released by Dell. Here is that link.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us& amp;l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R149964&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400/E1505&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=14757&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=32&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&source=-1&fileid=199461

Fixes/Enhancements

Fix issue with Vista and internal test routine

So more than likely thats why its not working on Windows 7.

-----------------------------------------------Instructions-------------------------------------------------------

1) Right-Click and UNinstall the Philips Driver

2) Check the box if you see one to delete the driver as well

3) Click OK

4) Restart computer

5) Download the Firmware

6) Save to desktop

7) Right-Click and Run As Admin

8) Upgrade the Firmware

9) Restart computer

10) Restart computer again

Now, test it out and hopefully that fixed it.

GOOD LUCK!

Sorry cd is still not recognized. zI have run into messages several times that say problem is corrupted registry.

Thanks! Please try this Microsoft Fix It Tool again.

Again, if that does not work, go back into the registry manually and make sure those UPPER/LOWER filters are gone.

1) Click Start

4) Click the > sign for SYSTEM

6) Click the > sign for Control

7) Click the > sign for Class

GOOD LUCK!

only lowerfilters is listed.

Please delete that one and restart the computer and see what happens....

:)

the last time we did this after rebooting the pointer was stuck in the center and would not move. a system restore cured it.

Then im afraid you only have 1 option left and thats to BACKUP your files like pictures, music, etc and re-install windows CLEAN INSTALL.

Windows 7 (Guide) with step by step pictures/instructions...

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/install_7a.htm

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 to get Boot Menu Options

3) Insert Windows 7 DVD

4) Select DVD/CD-ROM and press enter

5) Press and key to start the installation

Now, when you get to the point where it tells you to choose the disk, (Step 8 & 9)...

1) Click Drive Options (Advanced) in the bottom right corner

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/images/image2_3.html

2) Select each drive and click DELETE so only 1 remains

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Install_7/images/image2_4.html

Then go through with your setup since the hard drive is now blank.

BEST OF LUCK!
GOD BLESS!

:)

Hang in there. Loading windows 7 opened a whole new can ow worms but I think I can handle it.
Thanks!