Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I had to install a new router at home and got my laptop set…

Customer Question
I had to install a...
I had to install a new router at home and got my laptop set up wirelessly with no problem but I cannot get my iTouch or iPhone to connect. I named the network the same name as our previous network but obviously the router address is different so I can understand why my iTouch won't connect because I had it set up with the previous router with no problem. I have since gotten an iPhone and figured it would have no problem finding the new router address since it had nothing to do with the old router but it won't connect either.

I figured I would get into the router to change the network name and password XXXXX hopes that would work but I cannot get into it. I have the instructions on opening Internet Explorer, erasing the address bar and inputting '192.168.1.1' Then in the 'Username' field I am to leave it blank and for password XXXXX 'admin' but it comes back asking for a Username anyway and so I cannot get in. BTW, when I open IE I get a message on the Information Bar that says that IE is running "without" Add-ons enabled. The address bar opens up showing "about:NoAdd-ons" and when I click on the information bar to 'manage' my add-ons, it says that they are all "enabled". IE is working because I can get to websites but I just cannot get into the router.

Will getting in there and changing my network name and password XXXXX solve my iTouch and iPhone issues with not connecting? Like I said, the laptop (HP product) works fine with the Wi-fi...its just the Apple products. They work just fine with every other Wi-fi I have used them on, its just here at home so it must be something with my router but, like I said, the laptop works fine so I am stumped.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please reset your router as under and try to connect to iPhone again.

Unplug or turn off your DSL/cable modem.
Locate , on the back of your router, the small button that reads Reset
Press, and hold, the Reset button down for 30 seconds.
Wait for your Power, WLAN and Internet light to turn on. (On the router)
Plug in or turn on your modem.(if it is separate from the router).

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
I had actually already done a hard reset before I got your answer and the Apple products still would not connect so your answer as it reads would not have done anything for my problem. I then decided, on my own, to go through all the steps to reset up the network name and wireless security and it turns out the problem was that I had previously been setting it for WEP security and it needed to be set to WPA. Once I changed it to WPA it has worked fine and both Apple products work with it now.
Congratulations, your problem is fixed now.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work