Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

using netopia attempting to connect to a router from ethernet…

Customer Question
using netopia attempting to connect...
using netopia attempting to connect to a router from ethernet socket. cannot eastablish a connection to dsl. using the usb socket and connecting to a usb port on computer, connection is establiished with the dsl server. can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/26/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Is netopia modem or Modem+Rotuer both?
If you connect a cable directly from the netopia to the computer, tell me if you are able to go online.
Do you want to go online wireless or wired?

Dear Sandy,

the modem is most likely a Motorola 2210 (Netopia, DSL, ATT). It is a modem with three sockets ( ethernet, USB and Phone line in from a spliter) . Have been using it as computer to computer (crossover Cat5 cable) with out problems for several years.

The connections are USB from the modem to USB on Computer No 1.and Cat 5 crossover from ethernet on the computer No 1 to Computer No 2.

I am now trying to use it wireless to add a wireless notebook to the network.

To answer your question, If I connect the modem USB to computer No 1 USB socket, the two computer network works fine with good connection to the server..

If I connect the modem cat5 cable to the wireless Linksys router and the router cat5 cable to the ethernet port on the computer - the computer reports that the connection to the ATT DSL server has not been made.

I am trying to produce a network with Cat5 connections to two Computers (straight cabling) and a wireless connection to a wireless equiped lap top.

My tests have all been made with the Cat 5 crossover cable disconnected from Computer No. 2.

As a last resort, could you recommend an DSL modem in the middle price range ($40/$75) the might work with the Linksys router to do what I want. According to reports on the internet, the Netopia has a terrible record and ATT charges triple prices for what can be purchased from other sources for what appears to be the same product.

I'm doing this for ladies in my Church office and they can be a problem.

Thanks in advance for your help

Anthony Pagano

Please use ethernet cables(RJ-45 cables) to make the connections.

The connections you have made seems to be wrong.

1. Please connect telephone line or internet cable to the DSL port of the modem.
2. Now, connect a cable from the Ethernet port of the modem to the Internet/WAN/LAN(It would be one separate port on the router) port of the router(linksys).
3. Now, connect cables from the 4 ports on the router to the computers including the laptop.

Now, check if you are able to go online or not. I will give you steps to make it wireless after that.

Dear Sandy,

The present set up is as you describe and is accordance with Linksys directions. The original set up - using the USB out from the modem was to provide for a simple computer to computer network using a crosswired Cat 5e cable between the ethernet connections on each of the two computers. This system worked perfectly.

The problem with the set up you and Linksys specify is that that router does not recognize the DSL server (ATT). It must be in the router set up proceedures. I use the disc supplied with the Linksys router (WRT54GL Wireless) for set up.

If you give me the router setup proceedure/specifications for XP, I might be OK from there. Maybe I shouldn't be using the set up disc - and go for a manual set up?

Repeating - the router does not recognize the connection from the modem to the server. I know the modem is recognizing the server because without the router in place the computer to computer network operates perfectly. Router set up seems to be my problem?

Appreciate your effort

a. pagano

I am opting out and leaving it for other experts.

Dear Sandy,

I don't blame you and I appreciate your effort. Please cancel my request since I also opt out.

regards a pagano

Network Technician: Greg G, Director of Information Technology replied 8 years ago
Greg G
Greg G, Director of Information Technology
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX if you'd like to work with me instead of getting a refund I believe I can have you sorted out in a jiffy! Just let me know and I'll get you detailed instructions on how to get things configured exactly the way they'll need to be to get your wireless router interfaced to the netopia.

Best Regards,
Greg

Dear Greg,

As I informed Sandy, who opted out, I too am opting out - the problem has me worn out. thanks for the effort -

regards a. pagano