Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I can not get into files on the other computer in my netwo…

Customer Question
I can not get into...
I can not get into files on the other computer in my network.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/25/2010
Network Technician: Networking101, System Administrator replied 8 years ago
Networking101
Networking101, System Administrator

In windows 7, if you want to share all files from 1 machine to another, you have to set up sharing.

1) Double click computer.

2) RIGHT CLICK the "C:" drive and go to "Share With/Advanced Sharing"

3) Click the Advanced Sharing Button

4) Click the box marked "Share this folder"

5) Click the "Permissions" button

6) Click the box that says "Full Control"

7) Click OK...OK....Close...

The C: drive should now have a little icon of people in the lower left...it is now shared with other machines that know it's IP address...!

This did not help. I'm trying to install Peachtree on this workstation but it will not let me access the folder on the server, It says "You do not have permission to access...."

OK, the server you are trying to access needs to perform the above steps to give to access to those folders...

Is this a home network, or a work network? If it is a home network, simply go to the "server" and perform the same tasks. if it is a work network, the IT Admin will have to set a permissions policy to allow you access to that folder, there is nothing you can do on your end.

Ok. I did what you said but it did not solve the problem. I chose a "work" network when I set up the network but I am the only "IT" around here. Should I have chosen a "home" network and if so can I change it now?

no, just making sure it is a personal network and not a public one....

So let me just make sure I have everything OK....

you have 2 (or more) machines running at your house. Both running Windows 7. You are trying to install Peachtree on 1 machine, but it is telling you that you do not have permissions to install it on the "server"....is this correct?

Actually this is at our repair shop. we have two brand new computers with Windows 7 - just upgraded from Windows 98. One desktop one lap top. i installed Peachtree on the desktop as the "server" and am now trying to install Peachtree on the laptop as the "workstation". the "workstation" has to be able to access the company data which is stored on the "server". But I can not open that file.

OK...go to the desktop (which is considered the server) and go into the control panel.

1) Go to the "Network and Sharing Center"

2) on the left click on "Change Advanced Sharing Settings"

3) Under all 3 parts (home or work, public, and domain) make sure that

Network discovery is ON

File and Print sharing is ON

Public Folder Sharing is ON

that should allow you access to any file on the server. If it does not, we will have to set up a profile to log into the server...

It is still telling me I do not have permission to access the folder I need.

OK...on the laptop, if you go to start and type in

//xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (The IP address of the server) and hit enter

does it open the C: drive on the server?

(If you are unsure of how to find the IP address, go to the server, go to Start and type in "CMD" (without the quotes) in the command box and hit enter.

On the black screen, type in "ipconfig" (again without the quotes.)

You will see IPv4 address XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX (numbers in place of X's)

It says "No items match your search"

sorry, try it with the other slashes...

\\XXX .XXX.XXX.XXX

If it still doesnt show matches, click on "network" in the lower left, and allow file sharing...

also...make double sure that on the server when you allowed file sharing that you put the check mark in the box that says "FULL CONTROL". If that box isn't checked, you will just have read status...
Ok - with the \\ it comes up. Sorry I got sidetracked with some business I had to take care of.
no problem...great, if that comes up, it means you at least have "read" permissions to the computer...again, just double check if you still get the error that you have checked the box on the server that says FULL CONTROL to Everyone..or it wont let you write to the server.
Ok I have to leave. Would the security settings having anything to do with it? Can you eamail the answer so I'll get it tomorrow? [email protected]

that is what the FULL CONTROL takes care of, just check back here tomorrow and we can continue our conversation!