Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

When I go into the control panel in network connections. The…

Customer Question
When I go into the...
When I go into the control panel in network connections. The wireless connection icon is missing. How do I getit back so I can reconnect my uverse router that stopped working. I have windows xp. Its a desktop.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/25/2010
Network Technician: Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer replied 8 years ago
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to assist you.

If this is a new issue and wireless was previously working then next please do the following:

1. Click the Start button, then click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
3. Click the Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time radio button and click Next.
4. Now on the calendar that appears select the restore point that is at or before the date the issue first occurred and click Next.
5. Click Next again to start the restore process which will include a reboot.

Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
I did it, then it asked me to activate windows. Then it said the computer could not be restored to that date. nochanges were made. tried 2 dates same outcome
Ok then if the issue is not resolved plug the computer into the network using a network cable and plug the other end of the cable into the router then reboot the comptuer and click Start, right click My Computer then click Manage the Device Manager then click View then Show Hidden Devices then right click on the wireless adapter device and click Update then reboot and retest.

If that does not resolve the issue go back into Device Manager and right click on the wireless network adapter device again and click Uninstall then reboot and let Windows reinstall the wireless adapter and then check to see if the wireless adapter icon is located in Network Connections and if it can now connect to the wireless network.