Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Hello I have a VP 540 and have moved. Went from DSL to cable…

Hello I have a VP...
Hello I have a VP 540 and have moved. Went from DSL to cable modem and having problems getting the printer recognized. It's Charter cable wireless router by Netgear. The IP address is correct but it will not verify. The error message is Divice not found or not acuired correctly from this divice. Any idea why?
6/25/2010
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX am here to assist you.

First I need more information. What is the name of the operating system, such as Windows Vista or XP, on your computer?
Windows XP
Does the Device not Found message appear when you try to print?

It says the following message upon trying to verify the correct IP address for the Roland VP-541

"The error message is Device not found or not acuired correctly from this device."

Have you added any more devices to the network?
No. There are two computers. A mac desktop and the Windows XP laptop and they both access the wireless router. I plug a cat5 cable directly from it to the router. I had the identical set up before but with a DSL gateway router as opposed to this Charter Cable Modem wireless router. I really think the problem is in the router. Is there a way to change the settings for the router to allow the system to recognize it?
What is the exact model number of the modem?
I won't be able to answer that for a few hours as I'm at work now. I'll respond as soon as I can I just know that it's a Netgear brand
Ok then I will check back.
Netgear model# XXXXX
Ok thank you.

Next on the Windows XP computer click Start, then Run and type CMD then press Enter then on the command line type

ping x.x.x.x

replacing the x.x.x.x with the IP address of the printer and let me know if the command line output show four replies (or not).

Then next on the XP computer click Start then in the Run box type CMD and press Enter and then when the command line opens type 'ipconfig /all' and press enter. Next, right click the bar at the top of the command line window and click Edit then Select All. Next, right click the top bar again and select Edit then Copy and then click this text box and press CTL and V keys at the same time to paste the command line output here so I can review and also provide the IP address of the printer.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : bill2951
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Parallels Ethernet Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-42-04-DF-FF
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.5
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.211.55.1
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Friday, June 25, 2010 8:31:35 AM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Friday, July 02, 2010 8:31:35 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>
??w?????$??S????????????????urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1^assembly!???????ram Files\Bonjo????????w?C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls_6595b64144ccf1df_6.0.2600.5512_x-ww_35d4ce83.Manifest?????$?????????????????? ?msvcm80.dll??WINDOWS\WinSxS\Poli?????????????????????icr????$?
???????????ctl 32.d??????????????????df_x-w?????????????????????????062cdba???N~a~????A1?0d0fcf8615c46d0ca487033ccaeb3941f0b?????????????????????¿?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????S????j??????????????h???????j????????????????urn:schemas-microsoft-com:a¯a¯A¯?¿®???????? ?comctl32.dll?emas-microsoft-com:asm.v1?S\WinSxS\Manifests\x86_Microsof??$?????????????a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.762_x-ra?_6??700.Manifest?4ce83.Manifest??????$?
?????????????????C:\WINDOWS\WinSxS\Polici??$?????????????icrosof????????? ?$?????????????oolba???????????6.0.2600.5512!ToolbarWindow32?????????????$?
????$?
???????????????????????????????????????????!?$??????????????
??????$?????(?$??????????????
???????????????????????

Roland VP 540 IP ADDRESS IS 192 168 001 111
The IP address on the computer and the IP address on the printer are not compatible. If both are connecting through the Netgear then change the Roland IP address to 10.211.55.254 and that should resolve the issue.
I tried hyour suggested but it is not workingCry I verified everything a couple times but it will not sense the printer still.
Ok so next on the XP computer, on the command line, type

ping 10.221.55.254

and press Enter and let me know if four replies are displayed.
Request timed out.

Four times.

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Let me know if you need any other information.

Scott
Are you sure that's the right "ping" number? It's a couple digits different than the one you gave me (211 vs 221)
You are correct. Please test again by typing

ping 10.211.55.254

and press Enter. Note that the IP address to ping should be the same IP address configured on the printer.
Same thing timed out 4 times
Are both the PC and the printer plugged into the same modem/router?
No the printer is plugged in but the computer is wirelesss.
Ok then next, as a test, plug the computer into the modem rather than using wireless and reboot the computer and the run the ipconfig /all command and let me know IP address displayed. Then program the printer with the same IP address as the computer but with the last octet of the address using 254 instead of the number displayed (for example if your computer has the address 192.168.1.100 then configure the printer with 192.168.1.254) and then try again to connect to the printer and also try to ping the printer.

If the above works then check the ipconfig output and let me know if the wireless adapter has DHCP enabled (could not tell from the last ipconfig output provided).
Syseng
Syseng, Computer Systems Engineer
OK that worked and it now recognizes the printer.

The DHCP is enabled
How do we get the wireless part to work now?  I forgot to ping the last IP address.  I'll do that later tonight.
Ok so when your PC connects to the same modem via wireless that your printer is plugged into it should get an IP address in the same range as the printer but sounds like it is in a different range. So what is the IP address on the PC when the PC is able to connect to the printer?
I just unplugged it and it also works!

That's it.

Thank you,

Scott
Glad it is now working and thank you for contacting Just Answer.
I've relocated the machine back the the original location using the same old DSL wireless modem as before. It's a Gateway 2wire, modle number 2701HG-B. I have the same 2 computers as mentioned above. I've tried to retrace my steps but can't get the correct configuration on the ip address. Can you help once again?
Never mind! I figured it out using the original printer IP address. I tried that yesterday but had forgotten the "ping".

Thanks,

Scott

Glad you were able to figure it out. Just let me know if you need further assistance.