Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition and…

Customer Question
I just got a new...
I just got a new Dell laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition and am not able to connect to my home wireless. The machine hooked up fine to the office Ethernet. The OS did display a message that indicated that somje older routers may not weork with Windows 7. The router is only about 2 years old. Please advise. Thanks, Lee
[email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2010
Network Technician: Matthew J, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Matthew J
Matthew J, Computer Support Specialist
Hi there, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I would be happy to assist you. What is the model number of your Linksys wireless router?

Also, when you attempted to connect to the wireless network, what exactly happened?

Thank you.

WRT54g2 V1 It is Cisco with Linksys markings.

The OS presents the wireless networks that it can see. 2 are my neighbors and the other is Linksys which is me. I select Linksys and then I get a popup window that has Linlsys highlighted and offers to Connect. Now (new) it says enter Security Key, which I have no idea what that is. (oops). Is there a default that I can use?

Excellent. We just need to get the security key from your router then. Do you have any other computers which are connecting currently through the WRT54g?

Or is the machine you are on currently connecting through the WRT54g via a network cable?

Edited by Matthew J on 6/24/2010 at 2:35 AM EST

My current ThinkPad is connecting fine through the Linksys and I plan on giving that machine to my wife as soon as I can get the Dell running on the Linksys. So at times we might both be on the Linksys.

So I guess the question is how can I can the security key?

Lee

Is the machine which you are currently communicating with me connected to the WRT54g? If so, is it by a network cable or wirelessly?

It is wireless through the Linksys.

Did you see my earlier reply about ultimately using both of the computers at the same time on the Linksys? Was not sure if perhaps an earlier reply was missed. I am actually at the office now and not at home with the Linksys. I will be there later in the day or early evening.

Lee

What time will you be home? I am in Mountain Standard Time Zone, and it is 9:30 AM here...I can make myself available to you later, I just need to know when so I make sure I'm here for you.

We will be able to get both computers at the same time on the Linksys, not a problem.

Thanks,
Matthew

Thanks for your reply. I will try to get home by 7 PM. So we are 2 hours different.

As soon as I get there I will log on and see if you are available....... How do I go about getting connected to you? Do I need to know how to determine the security key on the Linksys?

Lee

Just post a reply on this question as you have been...I'll see it and will answer. I am guessing that you are Eastern time zone? So that would be 5PM my time. Just want to make sure that we are syncing on the times.

Once we connect tonight I'll instruct you on how to get the security key on the Link sys...it involves actually logging in to the router.

Thanks,
Matthew
OK.... I am home now and have fired up the Dell and sitting at the pop up for enter Security key. Lee
Okay, click on the link below and you should get a login prompt. Leave the username blank and enter admin for the password. Let me know once you have gotten that far.

http://192.168.1.1
OK.... I am now on the Linksys page.
Ok, click on the Wireless tab and then on the Wireless Security tab. You should see your security keys listed on the bottom half of the page. Use the one that is in Key1 position.

Please see the illustration below for locations of the tabs and keys.

graphic

The key is comprised of the letters A-H and the number 0-9 only.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks,
Matthew

If you are satisfied with my answer, please click on the green Accept button to acknowledge that you would like me to be compensated for my work, this transfers the deposit you have already made to me for payment for my answer. Also, if you would take a few moments to leave me feedback that would be great, it helps to build my JustAnswer profile. Bonuses are always appreciated!!

Not sure I am following your directions correctly.......

On the Dell, I selected the wireless Icon and immediately I get the pop up with a list of available wireless access points, neighbors and my Linksys..... selecting Linksys I get a pop up labeled Connect to Network and that is where I entered Key 1. Get message of

"Possible network security key mismatch". I did not get to a Wireless security tab.

I just realized the problem...... The Linksys view that you gave to me, I am not able to get to on the Dell..... I have Comcast, and I am assuming that what I sescribed to you in the previous note, is preventing me from ever getting to the DSL. DOes that make more sense?
You should be getting to the Wireless tab and Wireless Security tab after login in to the router itself. That was when I had you click here:

http://192.168.1.1

and then leave the Username blank and enter admin for the password. From the screen which comes up, you can select the Wireless and then Wireless Security tabs.

I am reposting those directions for your convenience:

Click on the Wireless tab and then on the Wireless Security tab. You should see your security keys listed on the bottom half of the page. Use the one that is in Key1 position.

graphic

Thanks,
Matthew

Not yet satisfied................ still trying to get by the Connect to Network pop up.
Were you able to get the security key as I instructed?
Yes I did. Your response was on my Think Pad and I entered Key 1 into the pop up on the lap- top in the field called Security Key. That is when I got "Possible network security key mismaatch". Thanks,
And you are positive that the network you are attempting to connect to is yours and not possibly a neighbors? Also are you using just the letters A-H and number 0-9 and not, for instance, the letter O instead of zero?

This should be working.

Matthew,

I will enter here again for your review....

From Key 1 on your sample I entered:

EFCCE3890A

Just tried again.....Windows unable to connect to linksys

lee

Ok, and you are positive that you are selecting YOUR network from the list of available networks? There's no reason why your security key shouldn't be working if you are connecting to your network and wrote the key down correctly.

I do NOT think I am connecting to my network. I think it wants the security code which I assume is "something" my daughter input when she installed the Linksys, and of course she has no idea what she entered.

Here is a thought..... Since my Think Pad gets on the network just fine, how can I see what is stored on the ThinkPad that accesses the wireless? It must be on here somewhere?

There's a way to verify that you are attempting to connect to the proper network. Look on the Think Pad and check what the network name is XXXXX XXXXX is connecting to. Make sure that's the same one you are attempting to connect to.

The security key should be working. You might also want to try the ones in Key2 Key3 and Key4 positions to see if one of them works...

I'm really sorry this is being so difficult...normally it isn't this hard!

Thanks,
Matthew

Found it I think................. Linksys WRT54G.

It did add this name but still looks for security. I will take it to the office tomorrow to see if I can get some help there. Or I will be back in touch tomorrow. Thanks, lee

We can also log into the router directly to see what the network name (SSID) is. Let me know and I'll continue to assist you with this. Thanks for your patience, these types of situations are normally much easier to get going!

Thanks,
Matthew
I left the machine at the office today. The guy that I planned to have help me worked from home today. I may be back in touch with you on Monday if that is OK. Lee
That's perfectly fine. Just post a new message to this question on Monday and I'll resume assisting you then.

Thanks,
Matthew