Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

my lan has stopped working. I get a message that says to hit…

Customer Question
my lan has stopped working...
my lan has stopped working. I get a message that says to hit the enable button, but I have no idea where that is. Is it a physical button somewhere on the router or an idon that I must bring up somehow. Any help is appreciated
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/23/2010
Network Technician: networkdoc, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
networkdoc
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

In order to enable the Local Area Connection do the following.

Click on the start menu, in the white box type in ncpa.cpl and press enter.

This will be bring up a screen with your adapters.

You will want to right click the adapter listed as "Local Area Connection" and click "Enable"

This will re-enable the network adapter for your LAN.

This didn't seem to do anything. When I got to the page you instructed, it showed the lan as enabled. Obviously, something else is wrong.

I've got my main computer connected with a hard wire to the internet. I had two other computers connected wirelessly, but now they won't connect. This happened two days ago. today my wireless printer will not work. It is as if something is slowly going down.

My wireless mouse is still working.

Any other suggestions?

Sounds like you are having a network problem with possibly the router.

Why dont we start troubleshooting it.

Let me get some additional information.

I need your exact setup.

1. What is your internet type. Cable or DSL
2. How are your pc's/laptops currently connected?
3. What is the operating system of the computers?
4. What is the make and model of your router?

dsl

one

windows

linksys wrt120n

Okay.
We are using DSL.

You currently only have one pc connected (is it connected to the router or the DSL modem at this time).

What version of Windows are you using? XP, Vista, or 7?

it is connected through the router

7

Okay great.

Perfect info here.

Before doing anything I want to make sure we can log into the router. Being that you are on DSL makes things a little tricky for the router set up.

What I would like you to do is go to your start menu, click on the white area at the bottom (where you can search).

Type in cmd and press enter.

That should bring up a black DOS box. When it does type in ipconfig and press enter.

I need to know what your IP address and default gateway are.

ipv4 address = 192.168.0.100

gateway = 192.168.0.1

Great thanks for the information.

On the computer open up a browser and click on this link. Log In

This should bring you to the login page of your router. If the defaults have not been changed then the log in information is as follows.

The username field should be left blank
The password XXXXX be the word "password"

Let me know if we are able to log in.

I'm not sure what you mean by "open a browser" - click on IE and open my home page?

I tried that and then clicked on the link you gave. I got "IE cannot display the web page" message.

Correct. You will not currently be able to display the page which is fine. We are wanting to be able to open up the router log in.

Once you open up IE type in the address in the address bar (as if you were going to go www.google.com) as http://192.168.0.1

when I leave user blank and enter "password" it says that a username and password XXXXX required

Again leave the user name blank and try the password "admin"

i got:

401 Authorization Required

Browser not authentication-capable or authentication failed.

Okay then the defaults have been changed to something.

At this point because you are on DSL I want to find out if you have your DSL account information. You will need your DSL username and password XXXXX that will be needed to be put into the router.

We will need to reset the router in order to proceed. If you dont have that information contact your DSL service provider and request to know whether you are on PPPoE and if you are what your account information is. Write that down and then we can proceed. I will be on here for another couple of hours and on here tomorrow as well. I will also be notified by email when you respond.

OK. I can have the information tomorrow. I will contact you then. Thanks for your help!

My pleasure! Once we have that we should be able to have you up and running in probably about 10-20 minutes tops.

Hello again.

I am not sure if I have the right information. I found the sheet that was filled out when the network was set up. Here's the info I have:

newtork name: Powell

key type: wep

wireless password: e48a83079f

router login:

Admin = username

flowers = password

I hope this helps and is what you were looking for. I await your reply.

Cheers,

Cheri

Sorry Cheri I had internet problems today.

The information you got is wonderful. We actually wont need to reset the router now that we have that information.

What I would like you to do is on the computers disconnect from your wireless networks.

Then we will do a manual connection entering the WEP password.

If you dont know how to do this let me know and I will lead you through it.

Hi

I need you to lead me through it. The other computers are not able to connect to the network. That's the problem. So what needs disconnecting?