Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

trying to hook up 6500 hp all in one printer hp tells me i…

Customer Question
trying to hook up 6500...
trying to hook up 6500 hp all in one printer hp tells me i need the rouder network password XXXXX i have no clue how to get it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/23/2010
Network Technician: Kyle, Certified Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
Kyle
Kyle, Certified Networking Engineer
hi there my name is XXXXX XXXXX ill help you.

Please give me your routers make and model

thanks
Linksys by Cisco, Model WRT54G2V1 CSV01J831852
ok thanks just 1 more things:

1. How is the computer you using connected to the router (wired or wireless)

thanks
wireless. No Thank you i can not deal with hp in India
thanks

ok all you need to do is download and run this application: WirelessKeyView

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wirelesskeyview.zip

once downloaded, extract the zip file and run the application, this will display the key
(look in the Key(AscII) column)

if this does not work then let me know so we can try the other step.

thanks
Kyle
Kyle, Certified Networking Engineer

When i click on the link it comes up with another question box and i do not know how to extract a file and what is a key i'm looking for a password XXXXX the linksys router

ok for future reference please only accept an answer once the expert has solved the problem.

are you needing the network pre-shared key or the password XXXXX log onto the web interface of the router?

thanks
Relist: Answer quality.
when i clicked on the link it went back to a question screen
please let me know what it is exactly you are needing?

sorry but i am a banker not an IT person. All i was trying to do was set up my printer hp needed a network password XXXXX linksys rouder. How in the hell would i know what that is . The cable guy took care of the rouder . Any this is getting stressful and very time consuming but thats all i was doing
ok thanks, sorry this is taking long but i got confused with the question.

If the printer is asking for the password XXXXX it will be your pre shared key, that is a key that is set on your router so that no one can connect to your internet.

The easiest way is to reset the router, you can do this by holding in the reset button on the back of your router (usually the smallest button on the back, you will need to use a paper clip to press it) for 30 seconds.

Once the router is reset you will not need to insert any password.

Hope this helps
Thanks