Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

i hace wireless network set up with linkslys router. I would…

Customer Question
i hace wireless network set...
i hace wireless network set up with linkslys router. I would lke to add another device to this network but i have to know my wep key, which i don't know. Is there a way to find it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/22/2010
Network Technician: Erik B., Network Admin replied 8 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

There are two basic ways you can recover your wireless key. Please try either method and let me know if you get stuck. Try to be as specific as possible if you do have a problem.

If you have a computer that is already connected wirelessly, you can download and run the WirelessKeyView tool on your computer from here:

http://tiny.cc/Glg4q

Simply click the link above, and a ZIP file will be downloaded to your computer. Extract the file by opening it and then choosing Extract All Files. Then run the WirelessKeyView application. If it works, the tool will display your key in plain text (look in the Key(AscII) column). If that doesn't work, then you can use the instructions below to get the key directly from your Linksys.

1. Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  2. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. These are the default values and may not work on your router. Please let me know if they do not.
  3. When the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here you wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. Make sure this name matches the network you are trying to join.
  4. Next click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the Pre-Shared Key box (may also be called the Passphrase box).
  5. Enter that password XXXXX your computer when prompted and you should get connected to your network.

I DOWNLOADED THE WIRELESS KEY VIEW ADDRESS BUT WHEN I TRIED TO EXTRACT THE FILES NOTHING HAPPENED AND THERE WAS A LINE THAT SAID ; FILES EXTRACTING. SO I WAITED FOR AWHILE, BUT NOTHING WAS EXTRACTED.

I ALSO TRIED THE SECOND METHOD ANS TYPED IN TO MY BROWSER: 192.168.1.1 AND I DIDN'T GET ANY ROUTERS CONFIGURATION INFO. AL I GOT WAS A LIST OF 192.168.1.1 THINGS.

OK can you do this for me?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /all and hit the Enter key.
  4. Right click anywhere on the data and choose Select All.
  5. Hit the Enter key to copy all of the data.
  6. Paste the data into your reply to me. If you are having trouble pasting, please just let me know what is listed for the IP address and the Default Gateway.

THRE WERE 2 ADDRESSES.

ETHERNET ADOPTER FOR LOCAL CONNECTION, THE IP ADDRESS WAS: 192.168.1.100. THE DEFAULT GATEWAY WAS: 192.168.1.1

THE INFO FOR IP ADDRESS PP ADAPTER THE INTERNET ALSO HAD AN IP ADDRESS AND DEFAULUT GATEWAY IF YOU NEED THESE. THEY WERE DIFFERENT FROM THE ABOVE NUMBERS.

No that is perfect thanks. OK your Linksys' address is definitely 192.168.1.1. Please try going to http://192.168.1.1/ using Internet Explorer instead of Firefox as a test. If it still doesn't work please unplug the power to the router for 30 seconds and then plug it back in. Then try my instructions again (posted below):

WHEN I TYPE IN TNE BROWSER 192.168.1.1 I AM STII GETTING A LIST OF SPONSORS LINKS.
OK are you putting the http:// in front of it?