Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a new HP notebook and cannot connect to the internet.

Customer Question
I have a Linksys wireless...
I have a new HP notebook and cannot connect to the internet. I have a Linksys wireless router that is approximately 5 years old on my old computer and can hook up just fine on it. The model number is XXXXX I am fearful of resetting to the factory default because then I won't be able to get on the internet on the old computer either. Help! I tried setting the IP configuration, and now the new computer will not even access the internet. Thanks for your help.

M. N. Bryant [email protected]
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/21/2010
Network Technician: Erik B., Network Admin replied 8 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

Most likely the WRT54GS will need a firmware update to work with your new computer, which I assume is running Windows 7. Can you please flip the WRT54GS over and look at the sticker on the bottom? Please tell me if you see a version number (e.g. WRT54GS V1.2).

Also, is your old computer hooked up to the WRT54GS wirelessly or with an Ethernet cable?

WRT54GSV1.1

right now it is hooked up to the ethernet cable

Thanks

M. N. Bryant

OK please perform these instructions from the computer that is hooked up with an Ethernet cable. These instructions will walk you thru upgrading the firmware on your unit. After you complete these instructions, please try joining the new computer to the wireless network and see if you get better results.

1. Download the Linksys firmware file for your router from here: http://bit.ly/8XGmIN
  2. After downloading the file, login to your router's web interface by opening Internet Explorer and going to http://192.168.1.1/
  3. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. These are default values and may not work on your router. Let me know if this is the case.
  4. After logging in, click on the Administration tab.
  5. Click on the Firmware Update subtab (may also say Firmware Upgrade).
  6. Click the Browse button and go to where you downloaded the file in Step 1. Double click the file you downloaded and you will be returned to the Linksys window.
  7. Click the Start Upgrade button and wait for the upgrade to complete. After the upgrade, the router will reboot.
  8. When the router comes back online, see if your problem is resolved.

I keep getting the error message that Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage (although I was able to get through the ethernet cable yesterday before I started trying to set up the IP address. I have tried re-booting the computer, cable router, and the wireless router but to no avail. Since I'm getting through on the old computer, I am hesitant to call the cable because the wireless in working on the old computer.

Help!

Mary Nell

Sure I understand. I'm sorry I think I misunderstood the problem. So right now you have your new computer hooked up via an Ethernet cable and your old computer is hooked up via wireless right?

Can you please do the following on the new computer?

1. Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and press R to bring up the Run window.
  2. Type cmd and click OK.
  3. Type ipconfig /all and hit the Enter key.
  4. What is listed for the Default Gateway, the DHCP Server, and the DNS Servers? All of this information should be listed under the Local Area Connection Ethernet heading.

ok! I am back on the internet with the ethernet cable--now I can start the download you first spoke with me about. I restored the computer to it's original setting to get here. Here goes!

Mary Nell

Great just keep me posted!

following info listed under Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection

Default Gateway = 192.168.1.1

DHCP server 192.168.1.1

DNS server 208.180.42.100

208.180.42.68

Thanks,

Mary Nell

Hi Mary -

OK so those number look good and you are now able to access the Internet using the Ethernet cable on your new computer right?

Erik B. yes! I am there-- it says, upgrade is successful-- I hit continue and I'm back at the Linksys screen. At what point can I take off the ethernet cable?

Thanks for all your help.

Mary Nell

Almost there!

Is your new laptop running Windows 7?

yes, I am running Windows 7 on the new computer.

M.N.

OK please do the following:

1. Left click the Windows 7 networking icon. This icon is located in the system tray near the clock in the lower right hand corner. It looks like a row of bars with a sunburst in front of it or a monitor with a plug.
  2. A small window will appear listing all the wireless networks in your area. Find your network in the list, highlight it, and click Connect.
  3. If your network is protected with a security key or password, you will be prompted for it now. Enter this key and click OK. Let me know if you do not know this key.
  4. If done correctly, you will get a confirmation that you are connected.

That's all there is to it. After doing this you should be able to remove the Ethernet cord and remain on the Internet. Keep me posted!

Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Dear Erik B: unfortunately, when I took off the ethernet cable, I could no longer hook up to the internet. They keep asking for a security key password XXXXX I evidently don't know what that is-- Is it the same password XXXXX I log onto the computer with, or is it admin? I have tried all three ways and still can't get through on the internet. when I re-hooked up the ethernet, I could only then get back on the internet. Would you have any idea what they are talking about when they ask for a security key password XXXXX get into the network connection. Sorry to be so much trouble--I thought this was solved.

Mary Nell

That's OK no trouble at all. Yes I can help you get the security key.

There are two basic ways you can recover your wireless key. On your old computer, you can download and run the WirelessKeyView tool from here:

http://tiny.cc/Glg4q

Simply click the link above, and a ZIP file will be downloaded to your computer. Extract the file by opening it and then choosing Extract All Files. Then run the WirelessKeyView application. If it works, the tool will display your key in plain text (look in the Key(AscII) column). If that doesn't work, then you can use the instructions below to get the key directly from your Linksys. Perform these instructions from the old computer as well.

1. Open your Internet browser (Internet Explorer, Safari, etc) and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  2. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password. These are the default values and may not work on your router. Please let me know if they do not.
  3. When the router's configuration opens, click on the Wireless tab. Here you wireless network name will be displayed in the SSID box. Make sure this name matches the network you are trying to join.
  4. Next click on the Wireless Security sub-tab. Here your password XXXXX be displayed in plain text. If you are using WEP, it will be listed in the Key #1 box. If you are using WPA, it will be listed in the Pre-Shared Key box (may also be called the Passphrase box).
  5. Enter that password XXXXX your computer when prompted and you should get connected to your network.

ok I think I'm there-- I have disconnected the ethernet to the new computer and was able to get on the internet. May I contact you if something else happens?

Thanks for all your help, Erik..

Mary Nell

Glad to hear you are up and running! Yes you can contact me anytime at my profile page:

http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=18224842&FID=0

Thanks Mary!