Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

got a new modem and my internet connection now only works if…

Customer Question
got a new modem and...
got a new modem and my internet connection now only works if i plug dsl modem directly into laptop. both laptop and itouch see the wireless signal, but i get dnserror and a message that i am not connected to the internet when i try wireless access via linksys wireless g. can you advise?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/21/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please connect a cable from modem to the Internet/LAN/WAN port(it will be one separate port) of the router.

Now, connect an ethernet cable from any of the 4 ports(which are located together) of router to the computer.

Now, check if you are able to go online or not.

If yes, go directly to Method 2 and skip method 1.

If not Follow Method 1 and then Method 2.

Method 1:

Reset router:

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

Method 2:

Open your web browser. Delete everything from the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit "Enter."

Now it will ask you for username and password

username=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password XXXXX
If this does not work,

Now,

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections.

Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security

You will find your security settings here. If it is not WEP, please choose WEP. and check your security key. Now, click Apply. You can note this down for future reference.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/wlan_client_connect.mspx?mfr=true

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
Security was disabled. If I pick WEP, there is no key. plugging router into computer does not help me connect to internet.

Disconnect the cables connecting the modem, router and computer.

Now, Please connect a cable from modem to the Internet/LAN/WAN port(it will be one separate port) of the router.

IF not please reset the router.

Reset router:

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work.