Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I need some one to walk me through setting up my linksys wireless…

Customer Question
I need some one to...
I need some one to walk me through setting up my linksys wireless router. I can get on the internet with this computer but it is not showing me the network from my laptop. It's like it is invisible. I think I may not have set it up properly in the 192.168.1.1 address!! When I check status it tells me ppp0e authentication fail
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/21/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please connect a cable from modem to the Internet/LAN/WAN port(it will be one separate port) of the router.

Now, connect an ethernet cable from any of the 4 ports(which are located together) of router to the computer.

Now, check if you are able to go online or not.

If yes, go directly to Method 2 and skip method 1.

If not Follow Method 1 and then Method 2.

Method 1:

Reset router:

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

Method 2:

Open your web browser. Delete everything from the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit "Enter."

Now it will ask you for username and password

username=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password XXXXX
If this does not work,

Now,

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections.

Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security

You will find your security settings here. Now, choose ,WEP security and put in the security key and click apply. You can note this down for future reference.

Please turn on the wireless capability on the laptop by holding down the Fn key and hitting F2 together.

Also, please tell me the about the make, model and operating system you have on the computer.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.