Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

i have been unable to connect using the wireless router.until…

Customer Question
i have been unable to...
i have been unable to connect using the wireless router.until a few days ago my son was able to use xbox live and i was able to use my laptop from work. i think that network magic has expired, is this why. i have little computer knowledge, please help
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/19/2010
Network Technician: D.Sandlin, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

What is the name brand and model of your wireless router ?

linksys/cisco. i have had it for a little over a month. it is still saying it is connected correctly, but it want work the last few days

excellent.. one more thing.. what version of windows do you have on your pc?
not even sure i know that sounds crazy, i am relly lost about these things- the computer is a hp pavilion vf52- whatever came with it-is there a way to look it up??? i am sorry
yes..

click start ( or the circle shaped windows button at the bottom left of your screen)

then right click on my computer

then left click properties..

what version of windows does it say you have?

vista... xp /??
windows xp home edition
Thank you... Lets consider this step one.. if it works.. great.. if it does not..

I will continue assisting you..

Try this..

on the lynksys router..

with it turned on.. turn the router around..

there is a small hole marked reset... you need to insert something small in there and press and hold down the internal reset button untill all the lights flash at once..

and then.. when you see all the lights flash at once and go out..

unplug,, then replug the router..

then.. try to connect to it.. let me know exactly what happens.. thanks.