Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

i have a WRT160N V2 router in a vacation home that Ive just…

Customer Question
i have a WRT160N V2...
i have a WRT160N V2 router in a vacation home that I've just restarted after being idle for about 8 months. I have a great connection to my PC. However, i do not get internet access with the wireless. When I connect the ethernet to the Lynksys router the internet connection does work, so I have to think the problem is with the wireless router.

Can you help?

Thanks,

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/19/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello My Friend

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out. This process might require multiple contacts from both sides.

Please connect a cable from modem to the Internet/LAN/WAN port(it will be one separate port) of the router.

Now, connect an ethernet cable from any of the 4 ports(which are located together) of router to the wireless computer.

Now, check if you are able to go online or not.

If yes, go directly to Method 2.

If not Follow Method 1 and then Method 2.

Method 1:

Reset router:

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

Method 2:

Open your web browser. Delete everything from the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit "Enter."

Now it will ask you for user name and password

user name=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password XXXXX
If this does not work,

Now,

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections.

Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security

You will find your security settings here. You can also change it and click apply. You can note this down for future reference.

If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.

I could not get past the admin box. I got a message that I'm unauthorized.

user name= keep it blank. do not type anything.
password= admin

user name= admin
password= password

user name=admin
password=admin

username= keep it blank. do not type anything.
password=keep it blank. do not type anything.

or try to type 192.168.0.1 in the address box and then try these passwords.

Sandy,

I cannot get any of the combinations to work at the 1.1 site. There doesn't seem to be a way to keep either field blank, becasue "username" and "password" default in those spaces when i tab to the next filed.

Anyway, I neglected to tell you that the laptop I'm using has worked in other wireless situations. Also I have successfully used this laptop with this router in the past. However, internet connectivity seems to come and go. As it is right now, the only way I can maintain connectivity is through a hard wire connection.

Could it be that my cable internet signal is borderline, and that there is a signal loss through the wireless router than drops me below the threshhold?

Your router modem is Linksys. Is it correct?
Did you see a reset button on the router? or a small hole for rest?
Do you have norton security on the computer?

yes I have Norton security.

It is a Linksys router.

I have hit the reset button and the problem still comes and goes.

I called my internet provider, and they detect a variable strength singnal to my cable modem. They will be making a service call this week to investigate.

I do have Norton security.

Should I just wait until the signal strength issue is resolved?

Hello My Friend, John,

Please unistall Norton security once from the computer once.

The check your connection. We can reinstall Norton security later.

How to uninstall Norton:

Click, Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features or Programs. Now, uninstall Norton from the list.

Edited by sandy on 6/19/2010 at 5:58 PM EST

Right now it seems to be working without the ethrnet cable, so uninstalling Norton won't really tell us anything. I need to wait until it doesn't work.

Then I'll un-install Norton and see if that makes a difference. I'll let you know at that time.

Hello John, It is good that it is now working. Also, now you know the cause. The cause is Norton seucrity. Sometime it blocks the signal. That is the reason, it keeps disconnecting.
Also, do not need to worry about Norton. As uninstallation remove the corrupt Norton entries. Reinstallation make everything to work smoothly. Also, I stay online for the whole time. You can ping any time.

If you find this infromation useful, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work

I have not un-installed Norton yet, but it is still working. So the Norton security is probably not the cause.

I think the problen my have been with the cable internet provider. They reset something from their end and it seems to be working. I still have a cable guy coming this week to check on the signal strength which seems to vary.

After resetting the router, it is now detecting the wireless and connecting to it sucessfully. I understand there is small issue with modem signal strength. Now, your Internet Service Provider people know about this and will fix it at their end as well. So, your internet issue is mostly fixed now.
If get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work