Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I am setting up a computer I bought used on Ebay. Using Windows…

Customer Question
I am setting up a...
I am setting up a computer I bought used on Ebay. Using Windows XP Pro. Add hardware wizard shows 3 devices installed, but with yellow question marks on them. Video Controller, (VGA compatible) PCI device, and unknown. I particularly want to get audio working, and I am assuming one of these is audio? Anyway, I checked and it shows no audio device installed, and my main objective right now is to get it installed. Of course, I have no CD with drivers, so how can I get these to install?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Network Technician: abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer replied 8 years ago
abhi_iitian
abhi_iitian, Computer Software Engineer
Hi there,

You can install the audio drivers from the internet. If you have difficulty finding the audio drivers, let me know the make and model of your computer so that I can find them for you.

Abhi
This is a "custom" PC.. no brand name or model. I can give you specs from Belarc if that will help?

yes, please provide the spec for audio device. If you go to your start menu then click "control Panel" and then "system" and then click on the "hardware" tab, and then click the "device manager" button.

You should be able to click a + sign next to "sound video, and game controllers"
It will expand a list of devices.

Do any of these come up with a yellow exclamation mark or a question mark?

If you go into control panel again, this time, click on "sounds and audio devices". What is the model of your sound card (it will tell you next to the large "sound" icon in the upper left hand corner of this window.
Is it muted?
Is the sound turned up?
OK.. going to first stage of lookup, it goes to "unknown devices".. that is where the 3 yellow question marks are, that I specified in my first email. When I go to control panel, sounds and audio devices, it shows "No Audio Device" in upper left corner and "no playback devices, when I click on the Voice and audio tabs. When I click on the hardware tab, it shows under device properties, Manufacturer (standard system devices... ....OH OH>. now I just got a blue screen on that computerthat says windows has been shut down. .. beginning dump of physical memory... I guess I will have to try to reboot it and see where I go then? I am working here on a second computer...

Now I have shut it down and rebooted.. Got a message saying it had recovered from a serious error, but it seemed to boot normally, and now I am back looking at control panel again...

Okay, I see. Could you try this :

In case of unknown deviced, try connecting to windows update to find the drivers, click on unknown device in device manager and then update drivers.
Do you mean that I should do a complete windows update? I set it up so that it was supposed to do that automatically, but I don't think it has done that yet. Just want to be sure I understand what you are telling me to do, OK?

What I mean is select the unknown devices from device manager, right click and choose install/update drivers
OK.. but I had already tried that. It has the version 3 update downloaded now, and is installing it. When that gets done, I will see if that gives us the drivers for those unknowns.. OK?

Okay
Now windows service pack 3 is installed.. When it rebooted, it found "Audio device on high definition", but could not install because it did not have software. I went to control panel, system hardware, sound and audio devices, right clicked on yellow question mark, and Hardware installation wizard say it can not find the necessary software.
I downloaded some more windows updates while I was waiting. It still can't find drivers and asks for installation CD or floppy disk... Is there someplace I can download the drivers I need?

Is there someplace I can download the drivers I need?

Could you tell the name of the audio device from the specs which you have ?
It calls it "Audio device on high definition bus". Doesn't seem to be any more information than that.

I mean specs from Belarc . does it have anything about audio ?
I would have to bring Belarc up again to be sure, but I don't think it had that. I will bring it up and check, I guess. Isn't there someplace I can download generic drivers that would work????

I am not finding any reference to audio hardware in Belarc. Is there somewhere I can download a generic version? If not, we may just as well stop here, or maybe someone else would know the answer?

the drivers depends on the audio device. you can try the realtek drivers from the link below :

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Choose xp.

Abhi
OK.. when I got there it talks about "your system motherboard manufacturer". Belarc shows that as ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5VD2-VM Rev x.xx Is that where I should be looking, maybe?

Please use the following drivers :

http://europe1.nodevice.com/down/efea7206b03c1be2a160639a0e7643f4/AD1986A_32bit_V510014151.zip

or use this link

http://www.nodevice.com/driver/P5VD2-MX/get34077.html

Also, you can download and run "everest home edition" from lavalys.com to identify the exact soundcard and then google for drivers. Try driverguide.com

Abhi
Will these be the right drivers then, or are they generics?
Are you still there???

They should be the right drivers.

OK.. I will ask one more time..1. Are these the right drivers, or 2. are they generics, or 3. don't you know for sure? Can you please answer one of those three for me. I don't want to install the wrong drivers, or something that will mess up the computer. I will be going to bed SOON, so please answer as soon as possible..