Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

i have a 2 wire and netgear router. I connected to my daughters…

Customer Question
i have a 2 wire...
i have a 2 wire and netgear router. I connected to my daughters internet over the weekend in another city. Now I am trying to connect to my intranet service and it is asking for a key code password. I do not know what this is. How do I find out what this is and/or how do I change it to something I can remember?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Is this happening when you are trying to connect to your wireless network? If so, what is the name of your network?

This is the first time this has happened. I am using my laptop to connect to my internet at home. My home computer is not having a problem connecting, hence I can communicate with you now.

When I click on my internet access it asks for my web key password. It does not ask for that on my home computer that has not linked to another internet company.

Network is Yahoo

Does this help?

It does...

Is the 2wire a wireless router also, in addition to your Netgear?

When you look at the wireless networks available - how many do you see and what are the names?

To view them, Go to Start and click on Control Panel.

Double click on Network Connections.

Right click correct Wireless Network Connection by identifying correct wireless network adapter and click View Available Wireless Networks.

the 2 wire is connected to a phone jack so i guess it is not wireless and also connect to teh netgear router via a cord.

The networks available seem to be all personal names and there are several of them, most are all protected. My is labelled "prine" and also says secruity enabled wireless network. When i double click on my network it says it reqires a network key.

Okay - on the computer directly plugged into the router, open a browser and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

or

http://www.routerlogin.net

You should get a login screen:

username: admin

password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings at the top left - your wireless key will be on this page. Enter it when prompted and the connection should complete. You could also disable security altogether at this screen if you would like...