Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

a password was inadvertantly added to our netgear connection…

Customer Question
a password XXXXX inadvertantly added...
a password XXXXX inadvertantly added to our netgear connection through the ipod...i was able to disable the password XXXXX the netgear site on the computer, but the connection failed. I tried to get the netgear to work again by putting in the disk that came with the equipment. Still no luck...in fact, it tried to reinstall, but it faied. The long and short of it is,,,the original program is still there (named dennis) as well as the new one (NETGEAR), the little USB is blinking its little heart out, the program shows that the router is sending a signal, but will not connect to the internet. How do I re-establish the connection?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for giving me the opportunity to help you with your networking question.

Can you tell me the model number of the router please?

Also, what is the brand and model number of your modem given to you by your internet service provider?

router model number:WPN824v2

modem: ARRIS model number:TM402P/NA-1

716691(this is below the number above...not sure if it is part of the model number or not)

Thank you -

1 - You mentioned a program named dennis - can you explain that a bit more? I don't quite understand what program that is...

2 - With your router, if I understand correctly, what you are trying to do is just to get it to work on your network again, without needing passwords. Is that right?

3 - If so, how many total devices connect wirelessly (other than the ipod) and what versions of Windows do they use?

I should have the steps to correct everything for you after these last questions are answered...

when my son, Dennis, set up the ipod touch, he was asked to name the network and give it a password XXXXX by the netgear phone technician. the ipod was able to connect to the internet by this route for several weeks, until my husband was missing with the ipod and somehow changed the password, because it no longer accepted the original one. When I get on the NETGEAR program (click on the icon to show setting, etc) it shows two networks (for a while there was one named Penny...no one we know) dennis and NETGEAR. I tried the NETGEAR 1-800 number but could not understand a word the non-English speaking techincian said. I "messed" with the NETGEAR program until I was able to disable the password (why do you need a password XXXXX your ipod to get on line?), however, at the same time, I disabled the connection. The router is sending signals, the UBS thinks it is receiving, but will not connect. The ipod, by the way, is now able to connect to the internet, but only if it is not in the same room with the UBS receiver. There is only one computer connected to the router. It has window XP. This computer is connected to the modem, not the router.

It is likely that one of the networks you see belongs to a neighbor...

Let's reset the router and enter a new network name - then you can connect to iPod to it.

You will be offline for a bit - be sure you can get back to this page. You can get back by going to justanswer.com and clicking My Questions.

Here are the steps to do this:

Power off the computer that will be plugged into the router and power off the modem (unplug it from the wall).

With power onto the router, press and hold the reset button on the back with a pen for 15 seconds, then release. Unplug the power cable.

Connect a cable from the modem to the modem port of the router.

Connect another cable from the router to the computer.

Power on the modem - wait 60 seconds

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds

Power on the computer

You should be online at this point - open Internet Explorer and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear:

Username: admin

Password: password

Once logged in, click Wireless Settings at the top left corner. Rename the Network Name (SSID) to something different, then save.

This will be your new network name - when connecting your iPod, select that network and you should be able to connect.