Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Bought and installed a Wireless N Home Router today. Had…

Customer Question
Bought and installed a Wireless...
Bought and installed a Wireless N Home Router today.

Had to put in on my laptop as the install program said the software did not support the operating system on my desktop.

It worked for awhile but then switched networks and have not been able to get it to work since.

The Settings screen says I am connected and have an excellet connection (54 mbps).

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2010
Network Technician: Erik B., Network Admin replied 8 years ago
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Hi and thanks for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to assist you.

What exactly happens when you try to connect to the network? Do you get prompted for a password XXXXX does it just try to connect? What does it list as the status (Connected, Limited Access, etc)?

Asks for the password, I enter it.

Connects and shows the network as "connected"

But you are unable to connect to the Internet?

Correct.

I am plugged directly into my modem now.

OK sounds like maybe something got messed up in the router's config. I would like for you to reset the unit and then reconfigure it without the CD. Which brand of router do you have?

Linksys

OK please use these directions and let me know if you get stuck during the process:

1. Reset your router by pressing and holding the RESET button (small button on the back) on the back of the unit down for 30 seconds. Upon release, the unit will reboot.
  2. Unplug the power to both your Internet modem and your router.
  3. Plug your Internet modem back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 60 seconds).
  4. Plug your router back in and wait for it to sync (usually about 30 seconds).
  5. See if you can get on the Internet. If you can then please continue. If you can't then plug your computer directly into your modem again and come back here to let me know!
  6. Open up your Internet browser and go to http://192.168.1.1/.
  7. When prompted, leave the username blank and type admin for the password.
  8. Please click the Wireless tab on the router setup screen.
  9. Change the network name (SSID) to whatever you would like your network to be called.
  10. Click Save Settings.
  11. Click Wireless Security sub-tab.
  12. Change Security mode to WPAPersonal (may also say WPA Pre-Shared Key).
  13. Type a password XXXXX the WPA Shared key blank (may also be labeled Passphrase). This will be the password XXXXX use to get onto your network.
  14. Click Save Settings.
  15. At this point you should be able to join your new wireless network and access the Internet.
Erik B.
Erik B., Network Admin

Erik,

Just went through your steps 1 through 4.

Same problem, shows connected but cannot connect through the router, either by wireless or by cable from the router.

Will start through the next sequence of steps.

Thanks,

OK just keep me posted Ray and let me know how it stands at the end of the steps.

Erik,

When I try to go to:

http://192.168.1.1/

I get the

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

message.

Stuck.

Are you hooked up to the router or directly to your Internet modem?

I tried both.

Same response.

Thanks,

That's odd, this should work when cabled directly to the Linksys. Please try this:

1. Plug your computer into the Linksys (make sure the Linksys is powered on).
  2. Reboot your computer.
  3. Open Internet Explorer and go to http://192.168.1.1 and hopefully you will get there this time.

Erik,

Was able to get to the Linksys page, made the changes and even changed security to disabled.

Same result. Shows connected on the settings page but sill get the page cannot be displayed message when I try to go to the internet.

Should we just give up? Is it possible the router is just bad and I should return it?

Thanks,

Hi Ray and sorry for the wait.

Certainly sounds like a faulty unit could be a possibility. The last thing to try would be a firmware upgrade. Can you please flip the router over and look at the sticker on the bottom. Please give me the router model and version number. Thanks!

Erik,

I think the problem might be with the modem, will call Comcast tomorrow or the next day.

Thanks for your help, your effort was worth the $16 even if we did not get the problem solved.

Thanks Ray appreciate the follow up. Please let me know if I can do anything else.