Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Can I please get help setting up my Linksys WAP54G AP

Customer Question
?...
Can I please get help setting up my Linksys WAP54G AP ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/17/2010
Network Technician: Molinari, PC Technician replied 8 years ago
Molinari
Molinari, PC Technician
Welcome to JustAnswer....

If you just want to set it up as an access point, here are the instructions:

1. Push the reset button while it’s powered up, release the reset button then unplug and replug the power cord.

WAP54G back panel

2. If your router’s IP address is 192.168.1.x, you may just hardwire your access point directly to the router and on your computer launch an Internet Explorer or any browser. On the address bar type in 192.168.1.245, type in admin as password, no username.

3. If you are configuring the device without a router or if the router has a local IP address other than 192.168.1.x, get your computer and, hardwire the access point to it and assign a static IP address, eg. 192.168.1.25. Open a browser an access 192.168.1.245 on your address bar, password XXXXX admin.

4. By default in the setup page under Network Setup, Configuration type is set to Static IP, leave it as it is or if your router has different Network settings (ex. 10.10.10.1), you may change the IP address following the range of your existing network (10.10.10.245), default gateway should be the IP address of your router, save settings. Click now on AP MODE subtab, select on Access Point and save the settings.

5. Click now on Wireless and configure your wireless settings (WIRELESS SECURITY subtab and select the desired encryption (WEP, WPA-Personal, WPA2-Personal, WPA2-mixed, WPA-enterprise, RADIUS), these are the security supported on the latest version releases. Take note of your encryption and of course save the settings. Turn off the access point and unplug it from the computer, set the computer’s IP address back to Obtain. Connect the access point to your router/switch regular port and power it up. It’s ready now for testing. Should there be any problem, try to powercycle the whole network (modem-router-access point).

Let me know if you run in to any trouble...

Edited by Molinari on 6/17/2010 at 4:00 PM EST