Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I cant install my wireless router. I have followed the instructions…

Customer Question
I can't install my wireless...
I can't install my wireless router. I have followed the instructions exactly but when it comes to getting www.netgearlogin.net I get nothing. What gives?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/17/2010
Network Technician: D.Sandlin, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

could you look on your netgear router..

And tell me the model number.. thanks
WGR614v6
thanks..

connect an ethernet cable from one of the four same colored ports on the router..

directly to your computer

open internet explorer

and try 192.168.1.1 instead of routerlogin.net

if that wont work , try

http://www.routerlogin.com

one of these will work..

use admin for the username

and use password for the password

once inside.. click on wireless settings..

and name your network under ssid

then, click on wireless security

and changethe encyption to wpa or wpa2

then next to network key..

choose your password.. then click save settings and exit

now, disconnect the ethernet cord from the router..

turn the router off and on.. turn the computer off and on

then try to connect wirelessly to the router..

use the password XXXXX just set
I haVE DONE ALL OF THESE THINGS SEVERAL TIMES BUT WHEN i DO WHAT THE INSTALLER AND YOU TELL ME TO DO i AM NOT CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET AND CAN'T GET THE WEB PAGE TO COME UP.
You dont have to be connected to the internet..

you just have to be connected to the router via an ethernet cord to one of the four ethernet ports..

not the different colored internet port..

once connected.. even if you dont have internet.. please do the following..

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in cmd and hit enter..

then type in ipconfig and hit enter..

let me know what you get for default gateway.. thank you
I was able to access the R page and typed in cmd - so far so good, but apparently I don;t know my IP address because what I typed in it said was invalid. I tried several times but no go, then I tried my hardware IP just in case and that was invalid also. Where do I find my IP address?
on the command page..

type in only ipconfig and press enter..

that should show you the default gateway..

that is what we need.. thanks.
192.168.1.254
ok..

lets try this then

connect to the router again via an ethernet cord..

type in

192.168.1.254

does it ask for a username and password XXXXX?
In order to connect to you I have to bypass the router and connect the ethernet from my modem straight to my computer. When I try to connect the modem to the router and the router to my computer I can't get on line. So, is there any way to just talk to you on the phone so you can go through this with me? I feel like this process will take all day to go back and forth and it's very frustrating for me. I am happy to pay you for your time but I don;t have ten hours to resolve this problem. OK?
we arent allowed to do phone support at this time.....

what i can suggest though is that we are really only a step or two away.

please connect to the router one more time..

type in

192.168.1.254

type in admin for the username and password XXXXX the password

then

and name your network under ssid

then, click on wireless security

and changethe encyption to wpa or wpa2

then next to network key..

use the password XXXXX just set

Like I said, when I disconnect from the modem, connect the modem back to the router and the router back to my computer I am no longer on line. The webpage is unavailable. The only way I can get on line is to connect my modem directly to the computer. This is the problem I stated right at the beginning. I can not get on line when I am connected through the wireless router. Please go through what you want me to do step by step: Should I b, using the modem, not using the modem? connecting the modem to the router or not? only using the wireless router directly into the computer???
connect modem to wireless router..

connect computer to wireless router via an ethernet cable

then turn off computer . leave off

turn off router.. ( unplug)

inplug the modem and plug the modem back in

wait two minutes. plug the router back in

wait two minutes, then turn the computer on..

you shold be able to get internet this way.

Directly cabled in.. will fix wireless later..

For now we just need to get it running through the router and modem..
I did exactly what you said. The result was that Icould not get on the intertnet at all. I had to go back and diagnose the problem. The LAN was disabled. I had to reinable it to reconnect to the internet. sO NOW i HAVE GONE THROUGH THE RECONNECTION PROTOCOL 12 TIMES WITH EXACTLY THE SAME RESULTS - NO INTERNET CONNECTION.
after you enabled the lan.. would it let you on the internet..

It seems to me that the netgear router you have is a lemon..

It shouldnt be this hard.. trust me.. i set these up all the time..

and i help customers set them up..

If you just bought it.. take it back to the store and get a refund.. and apply that refund towards a lynksys or cisco . or even a belkin..

Thank you so much for trying. I really appreciate it.
If you want when you return the router..

Ill gladly help you setup the next one..

send me a message at the same link

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3mw7a-i-cant-install-my-wireless-router-i-have-followed-the-instructions