Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a LINKSYS Wireless-G 24ghz router. Yesterday my ATT…

Customer Question
I have a LINKSYS Wireless-G...
I have a LINKSYS Wireless-G 24ghz router. Yesterday my ATT (Westel) modem was accidentally unplugged. After plugging it back in, I have not internet connection. Called ATT, and they said I have internet connection. Plugged the cable from modem into my computer, and it worked.

My computer says that it is connected with the router, but when I plug the modem back into the router, I cannot get on the internet. ATT rep says they cannot troubleshoot the router.

Please help.

Randy (NNN) NNN-NNNN
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/15/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello Sir/madam,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a Microsoft- Certified Technician who will assist you today. I understand how important this is for you. I will put in my best effort to help you out.

Please connect a cable from modem to the Internet/LAN/ WAN port(it will be one separate port) of the router.

Now, connect an ethernet cable from any of the 4 ports(which are located together) of router to the computer.

Now, check if you are able to go online or not.

Open your web browser. Delete everything from the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit "Enter."

Now it will ask you for username and password

username=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password XXXXX
If this does not work,

Now, Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security

You will find your WEP security here. You can also change it if you want to. You can note this down for future reference.

Please check the link given below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections.

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.

You did not say what I should do if connecting the cables in the manner mentioned above does not work. Which it does not. With the cables like that I do not have an internet connection.

Additionally, I think that for the internet to go to the router, I have to change the modem to "bridge mode".

Sorry, but not very good at computers. Just remember that setting when dealing with ATT yesterday

alright, you can change modem to bridge mode and connect a cable from it to router and route to computer. you can watch the video here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eJgJhK_E9g
I had already connected the wires as shown in the Youtube video, and cannot access the internet that way even though the router lights for the internet and port 1 are lit. I can only gain access to the internet when the wire runs directly from the modem to the computer. Difficult to believe that this occurred just from the modem getting temporarily unplugged.
Keep the cable connected from the modem to the router and router to the computer.

Reset the router now:

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNU4VPe9O_A&feature=related

=====