Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a Gateway Model GT5224 and Time Warner Roadrunner for…

Customer Question
I have a Gateway Model...
I have a Gateway Model GT5224 and Time Warner Roadrunner for internet access via Internet Explorer. Suddenly, a few weeks ago, I cannot connect to Internet Explorer. I can, however, connect to Mozilla Firefox. I called Time Warner support and they say it is a Gateway problem.

When I go to internet options I receive the following message: "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

Can you help?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/14/2010
Network Technician: Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist replied 8 years ago
Computer Engineer
Computer Engineer, Computer Support Specialist
Thank you for using justanswer.com
I am here to assist you regarding your problem

Please follow the quick fix given on the following page
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310049
This did not fix my problem. I cannot open any Internet Explorer version with "Internet Options" so I cannot make any changes to registry, etc. I do not accept this answer.
let me opt-out now, and redirect this problem to another expert.
Network Technician: Qin, Consultant replied 8 years ago
Qin
Qin, Consultant

I will help you on this.

First we will try to change registry, Please follow this:

loadTOCNode(2, 'resolution'); 
  1. Click Start, click Run, and then type regedit in the Open box.
  2. Locate the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Policies/Microsoft/Internet Explorer/Restrictions
  3. If a value called NoBrowserOptions exists, delete it.
  4. Restart the computer.
If that not wroking, then probbaly a component of internet explorer is missing, and I will help you reinstall it.

Keep me updated
Network Technician: networkdoc, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
networkdoc
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assiting you today.

PLEASE DO NOT CHANGE ANY REGISTRY KEYS AT THIS TIME!

Before doing any registry settings changed as my junior colleague suggested we need to get some more information.

You stated that your are able to connect via Firefox but not via Internet Explorer. This is usually a setting problem in IE that can be fixed.

What I would like you to do is open up Internet Explorer. It does not matter whether or not it connects. Once it is open at the top click on Tools and then Internet Options once you have that opened up. Please click on the Connections tab at the top.

In connections we are going to look at the bottom of the box at the LAN Settings. In order to do this click the LAN Settings button. This will open up another box. I need to know if there is anything listed in this box under Proxy Server.

Also please make sure under the Automatic configuration section that Automatically detect settings is checked.

Please post your results here and then we can continue.

Modify theregistry to change the NoBrowserOptions to remove the restriction

4. Restart the computer.riction

Once again I ask that you please ignore the interruption of my junior colleague and not perform any registry changes at this time as there might be no reason to modify such an important part of windows without doing other steps first.