Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have a mini 10 service tag #9ypplk1 that will not allow me…

Customer Question
I have a mini 10...
I have a mini 10 service tag #9ypplk1 that will not allow me to browse the internet using the internal wireless adapter. I can print to my printer using this adapter on my wireless network as well as connecting to other computers on the network. The device properties shows internet access I can also browse the internet by use of a network cable or usb wireless. The issue started after i updated the Bios to version A11. Is there a fix for this?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/14/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Do you see a list of the available networks?
Pleas tell me about the make and model of the router.
Which operating system do you have now?
Yes, there is a network list. The name of my network is "Advanced" which is listed alone with several others. Like i stated, the signal quality is very good (4-5 bars) and shows internet access. I'm using windows 7 32-bit. I have a linksys router model WRT160N v2 and Comcast "Arris" modem, model TM602G/CT...
Please double advanced and try to connect to it.

I'm connected to advanced, it shows I have internet access, but i'm still not able to browse the web.

Please double click advanced and disconnect it and try to connect again and check if it works.

Otherwise, please connect an ethernet cable from linksys to laptop.

Open your web browser. Delete everything from the address bar and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit "Enter."

Now it will ask you for username and password

username=keep it blank(do not type in anything in this box)
password=admin

or (if this does not work)

Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password XXXXX
If this does not work,

Now,

Under Wireless, Go to Basic wireless settings, Wireless security

You will find your WEP security here. You can also change it (choose WEP) and click apply. You can note this down for future reference.

Please check the link given below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/wireless.mspx

Now, you will see your SSID. This is the name of the network you will see it under available network connections. You can change it from Advanced to something else. click Apply once you do that.

============

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
Made changes to router but still no connection to web.
Click start, control panel, network and sharing and click Manage wireless Networks. Highlight them all one by one and remove them. Now, try to connect to wireless again.

Please check the link for some info.

http://www.7tutorials.com/what-network-and-sharing-center

http://forevergeeks.com/how-to-connect-to-a-wireless-access-point-in-windows-7

This step was a repeat. I just did this after changing the router SSID. Still able to connect to router but not able to browse the web. When clicking on IE, I only get a blank all white page that states in the bottom left corner "Website found. Waiting for reply..."
If you have mozilla firefox, pleas try that.

Also reset internet explorer.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Also try to run IE with add on as under:

click start, and in the search box type in iexplore -extoff

Also, check the ip address.

click start , in the search box type in cmd and hit enter. Now, on the black screen, type in ipconfig. You will see IP address under Ethernet adaptor wireless connection.

==========

Ip address is 192.168.1.119

disabled IE add-ons

installed Mozilla Firefox

still not able to browse the web....

If you have any security like Norton, McAfee, Webroot, CA, please uninstall them once, we can reinstall them later.
Sandy, I have reinstalled windows twice, checking my wireless connection each time before installing any programs including security software. Still did nothing but connect to the router... Not to mention that the web can be accessed by every other means except the internal wireless card.. And again, it failed after the Bios update... Other cards and drivers has been installed in the system (internal) and they wouldn't work.... Wasn't able to go back to the old Bios because i didn't think about doing this until after the first reload which formatted the drive removing the old Bios file.
1. Please disconnet the USB wireless stick if it is connected with this computer.
2. Keep the ethernet cable connected from the router to the computer.
3. Now, disabled the security on the router by resetting it or by entering inside its setting as I have given you the instructions.

Reset Router instructions.
http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Linksys-Router

If you do not see a rest button on it, you will see a reset hole, please put in paper clip inside it and rotate gently for 30 seconds. You will see light will fluctuate.

Also, please go to start, control panel, network an sharing centre, Manage wireless Networks and remove them.

Also, turn off the router, computer. modem. disconnect the cables. connect them back in 1 minutes and start modem first, then rotuer and after that computer.

Now, try to connect to wireless again.