Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I need step by step help putting a password between my Lynksys…

Customer Question
I need step by step...
I need step by step help putting a password XXXXX my Lynksys Wireless-G 2.4 GHZ router and the internet. Right now the network is "unprotected."

Thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/14/2010
Network Technician: Ryan B., Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Network Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.

1) Go to a computer that is already connected to the router and then please open Internet Explorer then erase everything from the address bar(long white bar at top with http:// in it) and type in 192.168.1.1 (if 192.168.1.1 doesn't work then refer to step 2) and then push enter on your keyboard and it should then prompt you for a username and password XXXXX in admin for the username and admin for the password XXXXX click ok to login to the configuration page of the router. Once logged in Click on wireless at the top and then right under it click on wireless security like the image below and here is where you will be able to enable security. Simple click on where it says disabled and then click on WEP. Then type in a passphrase and click generate and then Write down the KEY1 and click save settings. Now try to connect to your wireless and it should prompt you for a password XXXXX you can enter the KEY1 that you wrote down.

http:
View Full Image
View Full Image