Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

How do I lock my wireless router

Customer Question
?...
How do I lock my wireless router ?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/13/2010
Network Technician: Simit, Certified Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
Simit
Simit, Certified Networking Engineer
What is the model number of the router?
I don't see a model number on the router. It's a 2.4GHz wireless.
There should be a model number on the bottom.
WRT546v2.2 -- I think is the number -- it's very small.
You can secure that router through its web interface. Just click the link below for instructions on how to do that:

http://www.pctipguys.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=57&Itemid=36

I don't know what to enter in the ISP host block. Is that my Brighthouse folks (RoadRunner)?

If you are able to get on the Internet now. Then you don't need to change anything there. Just leave it the way it is.
How do I determine if the router now is locked?
When you connect to the router, it should ask you for a password.

What do you mean by "when I connect to the router?" Is that when I turn on my computer?

When you are in your computer. And you connect to the router wirelessly by double-clicking on the icon in the bottom right corner of your screen, it should ask you for a password XXXXX you connect to your router. That is the password XXXXX just configure by following those previous steps.
I've never had to double-click on any icon. I'm assuming it all connects automatically when I turn on my computer. I don't see an icon for the router.
Yes, it does automatically connect when you turn it on. But it shouldn't be able to connect automatically now that you have turned the encryption on on the router.
OK. Thanks for your patience. I have to leave for work now, but will check it out when I get back. I usually leave my computer on during the day and only shut it down periodically. How would I contact you again if I have problems later today?
You can just come back to the link below at any time:

http://www.justanswer.com/questions/3mb0w-how-do-i-lock-my-wireless-router
Thank you.