Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I want to reformat my windows 7 computer, I got a cd of windows…

Customer Question
I want to reformat my...
I want to reformat my windows 7 computer, I got a cd of windows 7, how do i reformat so i can install this fresh windows 7 cd instead of use the preinstalled version? also what are the steps to reformatting windows 7? thanks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/12/2010
Network Technician: Mr. Clark, Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Mr. Clark
Mr. Clark, Network Engineer
Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer.

I believe you will find this tutorial resourceful for the task of clean installing Windows 7.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operatingsystems/ss/windows-7-clean-install-part-1.htm

Be sure you have a legitimate version of Windows 7 and a valid product key before starting.

Feel free to ask any questions.

If you are satisfied with this answer, please press the ACCEPT button.

Thank you.
this doesnt explain how i would reformat the HD before installing, this guide operates from the assumption i have a clean partitition

When booting to your Windows 7 disc, you will have the option for Custom or Update, select Custom. From here, you will have your partitions listed. You will need to remove all existing partitions on the disk (usually Disk0 by default) that you want to install the OS on. This can be done by going to Options, highlight the partition to remove, and then press the the Delete button.

From here, highlight the unpartitioned space on Disk0 and go to next. Windows 7 will install clean on the unpartitioned disc (will automatically create the new partition).