Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I just purchased and set-up a Linksys wireless route Model…

Customer Question
I just purchased and set-up...
I just purchased and set-up a Linksys wireless route Model WRT160N V3. When I try to get on and enter the password XXXXX came with it, it won't let me, plus when I do the signal will disconnect and re-connect. I am having to connect the laptop into the router, push the configure button just to be able to use the laptop in another room. I have Windows Vista 64 bit system
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/11/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello Sir/madam,
Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will assist you today. I understand how frustrated you are, but I assure you that I would put in my best effort to help you out.

1.Connect your modem to the Ethernet/LAN/WAN/Internet port of the Linkys router.
2.Now, Connect your Linksys router to the laptop. You can connect the linksys to the laptop by connecting an ethernet cable from one of the four ports to ethernet port of the laptop.
3. Now, check if you are able to go online or not and tell me. I will give you new steps to help you go wireless.

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
That works fine at that point, but when I disconnect to go wireless, the signal disconnects, reconnects. Some times I can't reconnect because the password XXXXX for the network dosen't work at all.
Now, let me help you to connect to wireless.

1.Keep the ethernet cable connected from the router to the computer now. I will tell you when to disconnect the cable.
2.Launch Internet explorer. Delete everything from the address box and make it blank.
3. Now, in the address bar, please type in 192.168.1.1
4.Use "Admin" as the username in the pop-up box and leave the password blank and hit enter
or
Leave the username blank and user password XXXXX "admin".
5. Now,you will see SSID to identify the router.

6.Encrypt your wireless connection using a Wireless Encryption Protocol (WEP) key. Under the "Wireless Security" option, enter a passphrase and click "Generate." This will generate a password XXXXX will need to be used by any client connecting to your router.

You can also user the link given below:

http://www1.linksys.com/support/troubleshoot/wireless/wireless_router_config/wep.html