Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My Linksys is reading not connected. I went thru the fix-it…

Customer Question
My Linksys is reading not...
My Linksys is reading not connected. I went thru the fix-it on my Linksys site on my computer. I have disconnected and reconnected the power on my modum & router- still not connected. HELP!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/11/2010
Network Technician: Andy Kalita, System Administrator replied 8 years ago
Andy Kalita
Andy Kalita, System Administrator

Hi, I can help you with this. Where are you seeing this "not connected" message? On one of the computers connected to wireless? Is it LInksys router you're referring to, or Linksys USB wireless adapter?

Message on computer and Linksys diagnostic site. Yes- Linksys router.

Ok, that helps. Couple more questions: do you have any other computers that are currently connected to this Linksys router successfully, and able to browse the internet, or are you connecting your computer now directly to the DSL/Cable modem? Who is your internet service provider?

There are no peripheral computers presently connected to the router. My main computer has notified me of the disconnect. Main comptr connected directly to Time Warner Cable and using a modem.

Ah, perfect; that's good info. I think in your case, since you have cable internet, it will be faster to reset and reconfigure the router, rather than trying to troubleshoot it. Give me few minutes and i'll type up a step by step for you on how to reset it.

Ok, please follow the following steps to set up the Linksys router:

1. Turn the Linksys router ON, and wait a minute for it to boot up properly
  2. While it's ON, press and hold the reset button on the back of it (you'll have to use paper clip or something similar for that) for about 30 seconds
  3. Release the button, wait a minute for router to come online and then turn it off
  4. Turn your cable modem off
  5. Make sure you have ethernet cable with one end connected to cable modem and the other end connected to Internet/WAN port (usually separated from other 4 ports, and usually yellow) on the back of the router
  6. Turn the cable modem on and give it a couple of minutes to come online completely
  7. Turn the Linksys router on and give it a minute to boot up
  8. Now, try connecting to wireless with your wireless-enabled computer/laptop - you should now see "unsecured" LInksys wireless network - this is your network. If you only connect to the router via ethernet cable, don't worry about connecting to wireless, just skip to next step
  9. Once connected, open Internet Explorer and navigate to 192.168.1.1 (enter this in Address field and hit Enter)
  10. When prompted, leave username blank and enter "admin" for password (without quotation marks)
  11. Once in, click on Wireless menu/tab/link
  12. Now, click on Wireless Security submenu
  13. From security type pull down box, select WPA-Personal
  14. Down below that enter your desired passphrase (between 8 and 63 characters)
  15. Click Save Settings
  16. You will shortly be prompted to enter your passphrase on your laptop - if not, disconnect from wireless, then re-connect
  17. When prompted, enter the passhprase you created

If this answer was helpful to you, please click Accept

Instruction #9- How do I "navigate to 192.168.1.1
Sorry, when you open Internet Explorer, look for the address field at the top of the browser (where you usually type in web adresses, such as www.msn.com or www.google.com). In there, type 192.168.1.1 and hit Enter