Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Our cable modem stopped working and I got a new one from the…

Customer Question
Our cable modem stopped working...
Our cable modem stopped working and I got a new one from the local Comcast office. There were no instuctions with it. The DS light stays red, and our computer can't access the Internet because of Domain Name Service problems. I assume we have to configure the new cable modem somehow. Please send instructions.

Tom Zuromskis

[email protected]

XXX-XXX-XXXX

Account # XXXXX 01-6
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/11/2010
Network Technician: sandy, Networking Engineer replied 8 years ago
sandy
sandy, Networking Engineer
Hello Sir/madam,

Welcome to Just Answer.com. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will assist you today. I understand how frustrated you are, but I assure you that I would put in my best effort to help you out.

1. At the back of the modem, you will see three ports.
2. The internet cable which comes to your home must be connected to DSL port of the modem.
3. Now, an ethernet cable connecting your modem and computer must be connected to the ethernet port of the modem. The other end of this cable must be connected to Ethernet port of the computer also.
4. Also, modem must be connected to power.

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.

I hooked things up as described, except the Ethernet cable connects to our wireless router instead of directly to our computer.

Should I hook up the ethernet cable directly to our computer? Eventually, we have to be able to hook it up to the wireless router and not just to one computer.

Please bypass the router once and connect the ethernet cable directly from the modem to the computer and check if you are able to go online or not.

If you get some help, please hit Accept as this is how I Earn my Living and get paid for my Time, work. Please leave positive feedback if the issue is fixed, if not ask me again instead
of leaving negative feedback. Bonus would be highly appreciated.

I will try this when I go home around lunch time. I am using computers at my work to communicate with you because of the no connection at home. Look for an additional response from me later today, once I try this.

Can I call you via telephone if I have problems at home getting this to work?

I will be available online. I am sorry to inform you that we do not have any phone facility. I am sure if you connects the cables properly, you will be able to go online. Later on, I will help you to connect wireless.

===

I tried connecting our computer directly to the cable modem (via the ethernet cable and ports), but it did not work. I first had turned off the firewall, etc.

The network diagnostics utility still says that it can't connect to the Domain Name Server. And, light for the DS indicator on the new cable modem stays red. The Ethernet light is green flickers with activity.

Is there a telephone number for Comcast technical support?

Hello Sir/Madam,

I apologize for being a bit late.

Please follow the steps given below:

Note: Make sure modem is directly connected to the computer and turned on.

1. Click Start.
2. In the Search Box type in "cmd". You will see cmd as a link in black colour at the top. Now, right-click on it and click Run as Administrator.
3. Now, type in ipconfig /release and hit enter.
4. Now again type in ipconfig /renew and hit enter.
5. Now type in ipconfig and hit enter.
6.Check the IP address under "Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection" and tell me about it.
7. Also, launch internet explorer again and tell me the error message.
8. If you have Norton security on the computer, please remove it from the computer once, you can reinstall it again.

9.However, you want to contact comcast now, please use the toll free number: 1-800-266-2278

==============
I'm sorry, but you were not helpful at all. The cable modem needed to be provisioned. Evidently, this is a routine part of the process when someone gets a replacement cable modem. Do not charge me for this service!
Have you contacted comcast-1-800-266-2278. Are you able to go online now?