Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I have an WGR614v6 router. I have two portables connected to…

Customer Question
I have an WGR614v6 router...
I have an WGR614v6 router. I have two portables connected to its wireless side; a DELL (PC) and an IPAD. Both show good solid network connections; however, the PC wirelss screen shows that the signal strength varies in a wide arc from 54 Mbps (rated) to as little as 2 MBPS depending on usage. It will only allow the PC to pull one web page before it falls to 24 MBps and further thereafter; the IPAD will pull two pages before it also gives the message "server failed to respond". The signal strength indicator varies somewhat also. Rebooting of any of the two computers or router itself results in a return to full signal followed the same repeat failures on both computers. I theorize that rebooting reinitializes the router allowing it to provide a temporary full strenth signal. ?? Terry Safford
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/11/2010
Network Technician: Ryan B., Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Ryan B.
Ryan B., Network Specialist
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer~!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to assist you with your question.

Answer a couple of questions for me please.

When did this start happening?
Do you have security enabled on the router?
Do you have any electrical appliances next to the router?

The problem has been happening for several months. The only electrical appliances in the room are the DHCP computer ,its peripherals, a high frequency wireless telephone device (which I disconnected as a test) which doesn't conflict frequency-wise. Most recently but well after the problem started is the addition of a television and an eliptical trainer in the same room, all added well after the problem started. Nothing is close by

Security is enabled on the router - WEP key, 128bit encryption

The problem has been happening for several months. The only electrical appliances in the room are the DHCP computer ,its peripherals, a high frequency wireless telephone device (which I disconnected as a test) which doesn't conflict frequency-wise. Most recently but well after the problem started is the addition of a television and an eliptical trainer in the same room, all added well after the problem started. Nothing is close by

Security is enabled on the router -  WEP key, 128bit encryption

Thank you for the quick reply. Lets start with resetting the router, maybe a good hard reset back to factory settings will correct the issue. If that doesn't work we can look into a few other things.

To reset the router do the following:
  • Take a paper clip and hold the reset button on the back of the router, hold it in for approx. 30-60 seconds no less then 30 and then release it and wait for the lights to come on.
  • Once all lights are on connect to the router wirelessly and see if the issue persists or if it goes away.
PLEASE TEST THE SOLUTION BEFORE ACCEPTING MY ANSWER. IF AFTER ACCEPTING YOU ARE UNHAPPY WITH RESULTS PLEASE ASK FOR MORE HELP. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE NEGATIVE FEEDBACK