Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

My netgear wireless router stopped working. The port lights

My netgear wireless router stopped...
My netgear wireless router stopped working. The port lights blink constanly when connected. Laptop indicates wireless connection is establised. I have attempted to reset to factory defaults, checked all connections. No luck. Can you give some suggetions?
6/10/2010
Ansh P.
Ansh P., Network Administrator

What do you mean by "stopped working"?

Have you tried connecting it with a wire?

I have had the router for two years now. The port lights just started flashing constantly and that is why I am saying it just stopped working. I have connected the cable modem (which is my ISP) to the wireless device and that is when the lights start to flash. If I connect the laptop to the router at the same time that port light flashes and I can not access the internet. When I connect my laptop directly to the cable modem I can access the internet.

D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
Welcome to JustAnswer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a member of the expert community here..

Sonds like it just needs to be reset.. and maybe have a firmware upgrade applied to it..

what is the full name brand, an model of the router..

and ill help you get it reset .. and also... firmware upgraded if neccesary!
Netgear 108Mbps wireless farewall routher WGT624 v2 do you need anything else?
nope. allow me a few minutes to write out the procedure..

be right back!

download this file first while you have an internet connection..

http://wikisend.com/download/933528/wgt624_4_2_11_1_0_1.chk

save it to your desktop.. Do not try to run it.. This is only for the router , and must be ran from inside the router..

Now for the next step,, you may want to print.. or at least save the text.. because your going to lose internet to do this.. ( only momentarily)

disconnect the computer from the modem,,

and turn on the netgear.. then connect the computer to one of the four extra ports on the netgear.. then

Open internet explorer and type this in the address and and hit enter
  1. http://192.168.1.1
  2. User Name = admin and Password = password
  3. Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade.
  4. Click Browse and locate the upgrade file ( the file we just downloaded.)
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Wait for the router to reboot.
  7. Verify that the router firmware was upgraded.
  8. Reset router to factory defaults.
  9. ( to reset it.. look on the back of the router.. with the router still plugged in.. find the tiny reset hole.. use a small pin or paperclip to insert into the reset hole, push the button, untill you see all the lights on the router flash at once.. then go out)
  10. Wait for the router to reboot.

Now open internet explorer..

and type in 192.168.1.1 and hit enter..

use admin for the name.. and password XXXXX the password XXXXX

now click on wireless, wireless security..

choose wpa for encryption type..

and then enter your password XXXXX to key if you want this to be a secure wireless network..

then save settings and exit.

Now.. you should be able to hook up the ethernet cable from the modem.. to the netgear..

turn the netgear off ( unplug it) turn the modem off.. then turn the modem on.. then turn the netgear on.

restart the computer.. and attempt to connect to the netgear now..

( if you set a password XXXXX your connecting wirelessly, you will need to enter that password XXXXX the computer in order for it to connect)

Let me know if you run into any hiccups

Ok....when I enter the IP address in IE can not display the webpage. should I have the cable from the cable modem attached to the router? I attempted it with the it attached and not attached.
we just want to attach a cable from the computer.. straight to the router ..

( but in one of the extra four ports.. not in the separate internet port that the cable modem would normally go to.)

when you are connected try the

192.168.1.1

again .. if it doesnt work..

with you connected to the router by the cable

do this

Please press the windows key on your keyboard , hold it down, and press R

type in cmd and hit enter

now type in ipconfig and hit enter

what does it say for default gateway?
It did not work. Default gateway is 192.168.0.1
ok.. lets edit our procedure here to utilize that gateway instead. ( notice we changed from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

1. http://192.168.0.1
  3. Click Maintenance > Router Upgrade.
  5. Click Upload.
  6. Wait for the router to reboot.
  8. Reset router to factory defaults.
  10. Wait for the router to reboot.

Now open internet explorer..

and type in 192.168.0.1 and hit enter..

choose wpa for encryption type..

then save settings and exit.

Let me know if you run into any hiccups

I was able to get into the router. however, the menu options were not quite the same as your I had to choose wireless setup to get to WPA setup. I entered the password XXXXX I previously used and had configured on my laptop. The message I see when I view the status of the connection it indicates 'waiting for the network to be ready'. The name of the network I setup previously was 'ccoppetti' I do not know if this has anything to do with the inability to connect. I changed it under SSID name but I am not sure this is accurate..

ok..

did you upgrade the firmware inside the router...?>

and if so... did you make sure to reset it afterwards...

if both of those answers are yes..

then..

when you gave the network a new name.. you did also create a new network key correct?

and if you did so..

can any computer now see the new network in its wireless manager..

if it can see the new network.. then that means its broadcasting, ane we should be able to hook up to it..

please verify the two steps above..
Yes to all of the above. Now the laptop shows connected to wireless network but still does not allow access to the internet. This is exactly where I started.
Apologies for the delay..

Just now seen your message..

It shows as connected to the router...

Is the router connected via the internet port.. to the modem now?

Lets see if the router is passing internet..

conect the router to the modem..

then..using another ethernert cable.. connect the computer to the router..

Then...

open internet explorer..

can you get to any webpages when your cabled into the router?

can not get web pages when cabled into the router and modem cabled to router. should the light s flashing constantly? They do not stop once the router is connected to the modem. I do not recall that happening when it worked
How long have you had this router?

It seems to me that if a firmware update and a reset didnt fix it..

Then something is wrong..

My recommendation..

Get a lynksys.. or preferably a cisco..

Let me know how long youve had the router.. and i may be able to help you at least get it replaced..

Theres nothing more we can do to it if its not even passing internet through the ethernet ports after a firmware update and reset
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator
I have had the router for at least two years. i figured when we got back to square one it was all over for the router. Thanks for all your help.
Your welcome.. Im sorry the results couldnt be any better..

Might i suggest a good replacement? You can go with whatever you like of course..

But id like to suggest what i know to be a decent router..

here it is ... the cisco valet

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833186010&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Network+-+Wireless+Routers-_-Cisco+Valet-_-33186010

at speeds of up to 300 mps.. its fast..

and being that it comes with a usb setup key..

it makes connecting any computer to it a very simple one step click process..

its not too steeply priced. and the shipping on the link above is free..

Whatever you do.. Good luck..

And thank you for trying out our services.
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin
D.Sandlin, Network Administrator