Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

I had to reset my router because I was not getting the internet.

Customer Question
Once I did that, now...
I had to reset my router because I was not getting the internet. Once I did that, now it is asking for a pass key and I do not have that...how am I suppose to get connected? I have serial # XXXXX model #, would you have the pass key for it?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/10/2010
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Chat Conversation Started
Kevin :

Can you tell me the model number of your router please?

Customer:

WRT54GS

Kevin :

Is your internet connection cable or DSL?

Customer:

SATELLITE

Customer:

I have never had a security passphrase set up on this router.

Kevin :

There shouldn't be one if you reset it...

Kevin :

Are you currently connected through the router?

Customer:

That's what I thought. But for some reason, it is now password XXXXX I can't find the pass phrase on the box or any of my information. I am not connected through the router right now, connected straight from my modem.

Kevin :

Okay. Is the name of your network linksys?

Customer:

??

Kevin :

The wireless network you are trying to connect to...

Customer:

It is Wild Blue

Customer:

That is my service provider

Customer:

my wireless router is linksys

Kevin :

Okay. These steps will get you going:

Make sure you can get back to this page - log into JustAnswer.com and click My Questions. You will be offline for a bit.

Power off the pc that normally connects to the router and make sure it is connected to one of the 4 available LAN ports. The ethernet port connects to the modem.

Press and hold the reset button on the back of the router for 15 seconds, then release. Power it off and wait 60 seconds.

Power on the router - wait 60 seconds
Power on the computer

On your Vista pc, click Start, then Connect To. You should see a network named linksys. Select that, click Connect and your connection should be complete.