Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

i have a cisco router with my stand alone & 2 other computers…

Customer Question
i have a cisco router...
i have a cisco router with my stand alone & 2 other computers that I want to have on a wireless network. The problem is that I have "Network Magic" program & whenever I try to add a computer it asks me for a password. I do not have it any longer.
I was so frustrated with trying, in my ignorance I ordered a new router thinking this would solve my problem, but it did not. That is because the password XXXXX for the router, & i am not sure what to do now. I have tried every password XXXXX my entire catalog & nothing works. I tried to use "ADMIN" & various generic things to no avail.
What in the heck should I do now?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/10/2010
Network Technician: Richard, Network Specialist replied 8 years ago
Richard, Network Specialist

Hi there and welcome.

Is there a computer that is already connected to the wireless network?

Also please tell me the make and model of the router (s).

cisco/ linksys E3000 High Performance Wireless-N Router

Sometimes I can get onto some close- by networks that are not secured. Being secured was my reason for having passwords & such,because I was told that anyone could get inside of my computer & do all sorts of disturbing things.

I have a Mac Book Pro thar I could probably get onto wireless Wi-Fi now. I will go grab it & see what I can do with her

ok, unfortunately I need a Windows computer to do this. Can you please connect the windows computer to the Cisco. Restart the computer and then go to start. Type in CMD and press enter.

In the black box type in ipconfig press enter and tell me all the results please

what do you mean by a windows computer?
a computer with windows on it, you state that you had Vista?
Yes, my stand alone has windows Vista on it. It is not Wireless, I have it connected by the cables that came with the router. My other computers were both on the last routers network, before I got the new router. Since that time I have not been able to get anything onto Wi-Fi shared networking because I need the password. I can get it that far.
ok, can you do the instructions I requested please with the windows computer? We can then get the password XXXXX I have the requested information.
O.K. I am going to attempt these instructions right now
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX know if you have difficulties
Windows IP Configuration
Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network connection
Media State......Media disconnected
connection...specific DNS Suffix:sd.cox.net
Earthnet adapter Local Area Connection
IPv6 address.2002:62b0:1eb0:0e50f:99c:5397:2e9b
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX did this did you connect a cable between the computer and the Cisco device? Please do this as I require the numbers eg: IP Address: 192.168.1.1 as an example
i'm sorry but I do not understand. Yes the cable was connected when I restarted the computer & the exact example you gave is in with all the mumbo-jumbo, it says it is not recognized internal or external command
operable program or batch file. It just keeps repeating this over & over a bunch of times

ok, make sure in the black box you are typing ipconfig

Then press enter please

so when I go to start do I type in CMD first? Then when the black box comes up with the blinking line at the end of all the info ending with user Leah c files or somethng like that, or do I type ipconfig as soon as I hit start?

Do cmd and then press enter then type IPConfig in the black box and then enter

The only other # XXXXX like the example is 192.168.1.127
It is IPv4

thats what i need

now in your internet browser, type in http://192.168.1.1/ and press enter.

The username is blank (nothing) and the password XXXXX admin (unless you have changed this)

Now go to wireless and look at passphrase. This is the password. You can also change it if you want.

Please let me know if you still have difficulties