Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

My laptop XP will not see my wireless Linksys. How do I tell…

Customer Question
My laptop XP will not...
My laptop XP will not see my wireless Linksys. How do I tell if it set up to Broadcast.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/9/2010
Network Technician: Engineer John C., Networking Expert replied 8 years ago
Engineer John C., Networking Expert
Hello, I am John Cappucci, Computer Science Engineer. I will be happy to help you.

Ok, please follow the steps below

1- Click Start, then Control Panel

2- Double click on "Network Connections"

3- Right click your "Wireless Network Connection" and select "View Available Wireless Networks"

4- Now you will see a window with a list of network names. Select your wireless network name and click "Connect"

5- Let me know if you are asked to enter a network key here.

Please let me know if the issue is solved or not, so we can continue troubleshooting

Thank you

John Cappucci

*** 4 IMPORTANT THINGS *** (please read them)

1- Please click the ACCEPT button, so your deposit can be released and I can get paid for my effort.

2- Let me know if the answer doesn't work INSTEAD of leaving negative feedback, so we can still continue troubleshooting the issue.

3- Positive Feedback is very important to us. Please leave me a positive feedback after you are happy with the answer.

4- Any bonus will be greatly appreciated
My wireless network name does not show up on the list.

What linksys model do you have ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
BEFSR41 something like that I am not home now. The wap is wap11. Thanks

EtherFast® Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch (BEFSR41)

Are you sure ?

The BEFSR41 is not a wireless router but a wired one.

Thank you

John Cappucci

Not resolved. I ran into other issues with my PC(wired). The wireless laptop is fine as I can connect at work and it picks up many wireless networks in my area. I think it is the router at the moment I cannot connect to the Internet on my PC. Thanks for your time

Do you have also a wireless router ?

Thank you

John Cappucci
yes it is a wap11 2.4GHz linksys

Ok, please let me know the status of the lights: Power, Act and Link (on, off, flashing, color, steady, etc)

Thank you

John Cappucci

Edited by John Cappucci on 6/14/2010 at 1:42 PM EST

I am in work now but when at home with two laptops and pc turned on the lights on the access point status = power is on, Act on, link flashes intermittently. My daughter's laptop occaisionally looses connection and I just pull out the wap connection wait ten seconds and plug connection back in and she is fine. My laptop was set up at my work for their wireless., when I turn on the laptop in work I can connect to their wireless. When at home I can see all other available wireless networks but mine.

Ok, thank you for your reply.

The router can be set to factory default by pressing the Reset button of the router BUT PLEASE FIRST BOOKMARK (favorite) THIS PAGE SO YOU CAN COME BACK WITH ME AFTER THE RESTART.

Pressing the Reset button on the back of the router for 30 seconds will reset your router to its factory default settings.

Then turn off the router for 60 seconds and turn off your computers also

Then turn them all on and try again. Now your wireless network name will be "linksys"

Thank you

John Cappucci