Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

all of a sudden my router no longer does wireless...

Customer Question
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
6/8/2010
Network Technician: networkdoc, Network Administrator replied 8 years ago
networkdoc
networkdoc, Network Administrator
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

You stated that the router is working for connection from the desktop using a wired connection but is not working for a wireless connection from the laptop.

I need to get a little more information or in order to help you get this going again.

1. What is the make and model of the laptop.
2. You stated the OS is Windows XP. Is that the OS for both the laptop and the desktop?
3. If the OS is Windows XP for the laptop is it on SP2 or SP3.
4. What is the make and model of the router.
5. When was the last time you were able to connect wirelessly using the router?
6. Do you have any other devices that are able to connect wirelessly to the router, and are you using any security for the router (like WEP, WPA, etc.)

Thanks

laptop isToshiba sattelitte A205

desktop is windows XP

Laptop came with vista home but i upgraded last year to windows ultimate

4. linksys 24Ghz 54 Mbps

about a month...then the router did not work even connected to my desktop...the i went directly from modem (calbe) to computer and i got in the net...all of a sudden the router became functional for the desktop and yet still can not get online on the lap top

the screen on teh laptop asks for security ...i know my pasword but it does not respond

no other devices

peter

Thanks Peter. Sounds like you got some fun stuff going on here.

Okay what I want to do is a reset on the router back to defaults. From there we can start to get the devices connected again and working for you. You will need to have a computer connected with a wired connection to the router to do this.

On the back of the linksys you should see a small hole that has a button. You will need to use a pen, pencil or some other finely pointed item to depress the button. You will need to push and hold the button for about 5-10 seconds before letting it go.

Once you do this let the router come back up. Then I want you to unplug the cable modem and router. Wait approximately 60 seconds then plug the cable modem back in. Wait another 60 seconds then plug the router back in. Then reboot the computer that has the wired connection to the router.

Once this is done let me know and we will continue from there.
did all that....could not get the desktop to connect via wires??? ....so i am now connected with a wire from the router to my laptop
That is fine for now so the laptop is now connected via wire to the router. What I would like you to do is open a command prompt again.

To do this click start, run and then type cmd and press enter.

Once you have the DOS box (black) opened up type in ipconfig /all (make sure there is a space between ipconfig and the /) and post here what you get.