Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

How do I connect my Lenovo Laptop to my wireless router

Customer Question
? All 3...
How do I connect my Lenovo Laptop to my wireless router ? All 3 routers I own fail to work with the Lenovo..... I have truly tried everything....mostly 10 or 30 times....I brought in some talent...they got it working for about a month...Oh-f**king-boy...YeeHaaaaa
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Networking
6/5/2010
Network Technician: Rajesh, Computer Hardware Engineer replied 7 years ago
Rajesh
Rajesh, Computer Hardware Engineer
hi

what is the model of your router?
and what is your service provider? IS it ATT or comcast?

D-Link Dir-655.....same problem on Motorola and same problem on Linksys.

Service provider IS NOT ATT OR COMCAST. That's a scary STUPID QUESTION.

Service provider is Cox Communications.

Network Technician: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer replied 7 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer

As this is a networkin gissue I will be more than happy to step in here and help you, So can you tell us what happens when you try to connect the machine to the wireless?

Do you get errors?

Can you connect?

Is it slow?

Let us know

Thanks

ERRORS= FAILED TO CONNECT

THREW OUT ALL OF THE LENOVO CRAP BUT STILL NO LUCK

RE-INSTALLED ALL THE LENOVO CRAP BUT STILL NO LUCK

RESET ROUTER MANY MANY TIMES...NO WIRELESS CONNECTION TO THE LENOVO LAPTOP.....

BUILT-IN "THINKVANTAGE" STUFF ABSOLUTELY USELESS...HUGE WASTE OF TIME.....I'LL BE GLAD TO PAY YOU IF YOU ACTUALLY HELP....LET'S NOT GET AHEAD OF OURSELVES HERE.

Ok,

First of all can you click start then run and type winver then hit enter and let me know what windows version you are running such as service pack 1, 2 or 3

Then can you tell me if you know what type of security you are using on the router such as WPA. WEP etc and do you know if you are using windows to manage your wireless or are you using the IBM wireless manager software?

Thanks

WIN XP SERVICE PACK 3, BUILD 5.1

WPA WITH AES

IBM/LENOVO WAS MANAGING THE WIRELESS...I DID MY BEST TO THROW IT OUT...THINK I SUCCEEDED....WINDOWS NOW MANAGES

Ok,

In that case can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

Wen you get to the login can you try the username admin and the password XXXXX or the username admin and 1234 for the password.

Once logged into the router can you click on the Wireless menu and change your security level to WPA2 and enter you choice of passphrase (if in doubt just use your phone number with area code up to 10 digits)

Once that is set can you save your changes and then click starrt then control panel and open network connections then double click your wireless network adapter and let me know if you can see your wireless network listed and if you can then connect with the passphrase you just set.

Let me know

Thanks

ok so far....windows responds: "connecting to the wireless network. the following action cannot be completed: connecting to the wireless network".....

Ok,

In that case lets try removing any left over wireless profiles that may be associated with your home network.

To do this can you click start then control panel and select Network Connections then right click your wireless network adapter and choose properties.

When the properties screen opens can you click the wireless tab and then look in the prefered networks list and find your wireless networks listing and single click it to highlight it then choose remove or hit the delete key.

Once any profiles that are associated with your home are removed can you then restart your computer and tell me what happens when you then try to connect.

Thanks

I've been talking to you on THE computer....how we reconnect?

Ok,

All you need to do is come back to justanswer.com and it will bring you back here or you can click on the link in any of the notification emails you should have received.

Also is this machine currently hardwired to the network when you try to connect to the wireless?

Thanks

yes

Ok,

After you restart the machine can you disconnect the networrk cable then try to connect to the wireless and then see if you can get connected, If not just reconnect the cable then restart once more and let me know what happened or what errors you received.

Thanks

No wireless connection yet...wired net cable un-plugged..
"connection failed"......cannot delete the "wireless connection" icons windows says "the connection you selected cannot be deleted" wtf?

Ok,

Can you log back into the router and can you change the wireless networks name then see if you can connect to the newly named network?

Thanks

renamed wireless network.....still F.U.
Ok,

can you turn off the wireless encryption on your router and let me know if you can then connect?

That way we can see if it is the wireless or your machine and proceed accordingly.

Thanks

that worked...no security though, but connected wireless

Ok,

That tells us the wireless is working, However you are probably missin a couple of windows patches to allow a high encryption level.

So at this point we can either setup the router to use a security level like WEP 128bit which is universally useable or we can try to patch your copy of windows to allow you to use WPA2 which is a higher encryption level.

Let me know what you prefer to do?

Thanks

the router is wired to the desktop computer running Win 7, but the laptop with the bad behavior is Win XP SP3....does this make a difference?

Ok,

It does not make a lot of difference, Only that WPA2 is more secure so if you have a lot of neighbours you do not trust you would want to use the WPA2 option, However if you live in a normal subdivision and only need to keep your neighbours from using your wireless then WAP will be more than enough.

Let me know which you prefer and let me know the exact model number of your router from the label on the bottom.

Thanks

D-Link model Dir 655
( 192.168.0.1)
I prefer the more stringent WPA2

Ok,

Can you log into the Dlink and then choose Setup at the top and then click Launch Wireless Security Setup Wizard and enter a unique name that you have not used befre then choose the "Best"option which will enable the WPA2 option.

Then enter a passphrase you will remember sucah as your 10 digit phone number or anything you will remember easily.

Once you have gone through all the steps let me know what it says on the confirmation screen for your wireless security settings then let me know what happens when you try to connect to your newly named network with the password XXXXX just setup.

Thanks

WHEN AND WHERE DOES THE DLINK ASK FOR A PASSPHRASE?

Ok,

When you select the Wireless Security Setup Wizard it will ask for an SSID (network Name) which is what it will broadcast itself as.

Next it will ask what level of security you wish to use and you want to choose Best.

Then it will ask you to enter a passphrase which will be the key you use to access the wireless on the laptop.

Page 62 of the manual will show you the steps if you would like to see screenshots http://www.scribd.com/doc/6254595/DLink-Dir655-Manual-Wireless-N-Router

Let me know if you have any issues.

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
OK...YOU DID GOOD...

Ok,

Are you all setup and connected?

Yes....and I might actually remember this drill......
thanks [email protected]
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer