Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I recently purchased a Panasonic Network Ready Blu-ray Disc

I recently purchased a Panasonic...
I recently purchased a Panasonic "Network Ready" Blu-ray Disc Player (DMP-BD65) and a plug in Panasonic Wireless LAN adapter (DY-WL10). Try as I might, I cannot get it to connect with my home wireless network. I'm running an Apple Airport Extreme hooked to a Time-Warner high speed cable modem and all my Macs, Windows and iPhones connect fine. The unit recognizes my network but won't accept the password (an 8 digit alphanumeric) that I use for all the other connections. The instructions in the Panasonic manual are deliciously vague and not helpful. How can I hook up?
4/5/2010
Rod, Network Engineering Manager
Hi JA Customer,

I will try to assist - the password XXXXX XXXXX sensitive so if you use an A or a - it must match - also you must use the correct type of encryption. Check one of your Macs on the network setting and it should display what the encryption method is. If you are using an encryption method not used by the Panasonic unit (WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK) then you will need to reset the access point to one of those two for the Panasonic to work (Open System is no password).

We are trouble shooting so no need to accept yet.

Thanks,
I was careful to keep the passwords case sensitive. I'll check the Mac's network setting when I get home (I'm at the office now). Thanks for working on this with me and I hope we can solve the problem together.
Hi JA Customer,

I'll only be on a few more hours tonight, but willing to work with you tomorrow on this - or I can opt out and let another expert pick this up if you desire - please let me know.

Thanks,
Hi Rod:

If you're still on, we can continue. If not, tomorrow will be fine. I checked the airport setup and my network shows up as WPA2 -Personal. That's the one with the password XXXXX works on all the other computers and phones. If I need to reset airport, I'll have to have some instruction. Apple's little booklet is also very vague. I tried reseting the password XXXXX running that through the Panasonic with no success. Still can't connect.
Hi JA Customer,

I'm bad for a few hours today - and you are probably at work. WPA2-Personal is the same as WPA-2PSK (Pre-Shared-Key) - so that is the setting you should use on the Blu Ray player setup.

You might want to reset the Blu Ray player to factory defaults (from the menu) - do the reset without the WiFi dongle attached.

Also, you need to check on your Airport, that the DHCP scope has enough addresses for the unit to hand out new IP addresses. DHCP is what provides IP addresses to devices that connect. Some use 10.0.1.1 or 192.168.1.1 The scope is the range, such as 10.0.1.1 to 10.0.1.50 (49 addresses).

Thanks,
Hi Rod,

I tried resetting the player to factory defaults without the WiFi plugged in. No problem (it's a new player anyway). The Airport is using 10.0.0.1 but I don't know how to check the scope. Another connected device shows 10.0.0.2 so I suppose the range is OK. The Airport utility panel doesn't show the Panasonic player and I still can't make a connection.I'm using WPA2-PSK and my password XXXXX works on other devices. I'm probably doing something wrong, but can't figure out what it might be. Neither Panasonic nor Apple were able to help, which is why I turned to you. Hopefully, you can help but I'm loath to take up any more of your time on this. If you don't feel there's anything more you can do, just say so...I'll accept the charge and thank you for trying.

Best, Richard
Hi Richard,

Don't give up, I don't I love to solve challenges. There is a firmware update listed for this model, check your firmware version. The new version is ver 1.14 released in March 2010, and this version does a wireless performance enhancement. You will need to burn a CD to apply the update. Go to this website, and click the agreement at the bottom to download the update. Apply the update if you are not at the latest version and then see if your wireless will connect.

Thanks,
Hi Rod:

OK. I've downloaded the firmware update and burned a CD. I'll check it and install when I get home and let you know if it works. There's also an Airport update which I'll install at home as well.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX does it.

Best, Richard
Hi Richard,

Try the updates - this may make a difference - let me know your results.

Thanks,
Rod, Network Engineering Manager
Hi Richard,

Just to clarify - I miss typed (wife was giving me a chore Undecided) "Don't give up, I don't I love to solve challenges." Should have read, I love to solve challenges..... its been a long day.

Thanks,

Dear Rod:

The combination of the firmware update and the Airport update worked like a charm. I'm now connected. Thank you so much for your help in solving this.

Best, Richard

Rod, Network Engineering Manager