Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

I have a new Brother MFC-495CW printer that I want to set-up

to my HP Paviliondv9000 Laptop...
I have a new Brother MFC-495CW printer that I want to set-up to my HP Paviliondv9000 Laptop. It ask for my pin number. Do I use my Linksys or the computer's WiFi? Don't know my pin number.
2/11/2010
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Can you tell me then model number of your Linksys router please?

Linksys WRT54G
I am doublechecking some things for you and will be just a moment - I am familiar with the Pin, I just want to be sure it works with your hardware...

Take a look at the front of your router - there is a light on the left side that says Secure Easy Setup - is it orange or white? Here is a screenshot:

graphic

It is orange..

Okay - the pin is for a different type of setup that your router does not have - the settings do have to be entered manually, but we need to get them from the router first. Here are the steps to do that:

Use the computer directly plugged into the router and open a web browser. Enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

A login screen will appear and autofill - just click to enter. If the login fails, leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.

You are now inside the router setup. Click on Wireless - a submenu will appear below it. Click on Wireless Security.

Can you tell me whether security is enabled or not and if it is, what type of security, like WPA/WEP/WPA2 and the security algorithm (TKIP, AES) please?

There ius

I think I have this info already....the encryption is TKIP do you need more info?

There are some settings you will need for the setup - I don't need to know them, but you will need them written down. Do you know the name of your wireless network and the password XXXXX connect to it?

By wireless name, do you mean (SSID)...it is Linksys_SES_60972..and security mode? I have that, also.

SSID is right - to connect to your wireless network a password XXXXX XXXXX Do you have that? If not, I can give you the steps to get it, then you will be able to set up the printer.

I never endered a password XXXXX it remained as...admiin

This router login password XXXXX XXXXX bit different than the network password XXXXX let's get it from the router, just to be certain.

http://192.168.1.1/

Your passphrase / key is on this page. Can you write it down please and let me know when you have it? I am working on putting together printer instructions as you do this...

Security mode is WPA personal

WPA algo. is TKIP

WPA shared key is 6AtjPDGGU2enUPMNUDKWAQ9

Group Key is 3600 seconds

This is everything on that page....is this helpful?

Very helpful - thank you :)

That is all you need - here are the setup instructions for the printer:

1. Press Menu on the printer
  2. Press the Up and Down Arrows and choose Network - press OK
  3. Press the Up and Down Arrows and choose WLAN - press OK
  4. Press the Up and Down Arrows and choose Setup Wizard - press OK
  5. When Network I/F switched to wireless is displayed, press OK
  6. The printer will look for your SSID - select it, then press OK
  7. Press the Up and Down Arrows and select Infrastructure - press OK
  8. Press the Up and Down Arrows to select WPA/WPA2-PSK - press OK
  9. Press the Up and Down Arrows to select TKIP encryption - press OK
  10. Enter your WPA key - 6AtjPDGGU2enUPMNUDKWAQ9 - press OK
  11. Select Yes to accept settings

It should try to connect at this point and say Connected - if not, it will give you a message as to which part is incorrect.

Here is some info on entering text for the key if you need it:

graphic

Kevin
    Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
    It won't let me go past password..and it won't accept admin.
    Is this on step 10? The password XXXXX XXXXX network key - 6AtjPDGGU2enUPMNUDKWAQ9
    It won't accept that number either
    Is this on step 10 or a different part?
    It comes after it finds the ssid

Okay - let's try something a little different.

Log back into your router and enable Secure Easy Setup. It should prompt you for some setup steps.

Back to the printer...

Press Menu

Choose Network - press OK

Choose WLAN - press OK

Choose SES/WPA/AOSS - press OK

When WLAN enable? shows, press 1

When Network I/F switched to wireless is displayed, press OK

The printer will now search for your router.

Press the SecureEasySetup button on your router and hold it for ten seconds. It should start to flash, then the printer will say connected. It may take up to 10 seconds.

Any luck at this point?

when I get to SES/WPA/AOSS it goes to setting wlan then it says no access point

Okay - log back into the router and click on Wireless. Is Broadcast SSID enabled? If not, enable and save - then let the printer look for the network again.

The ssid is and was enabled but it still goes to no access point! I bet you wish I would disappear!! Will be off line until tomorrow afternoon...if you are working on Sats. otherwise, I will look for a reply on Monday. Thanks.

We will get this going - I will keep up on the post and we can try a couple more things when you have time...

I am back and wondering if you have anything more for me.....

I am online today and for the rest of the week. Let's reset any network settings, just to be sure none of the settings are keeping the connection from working.

Now run the setup cd that came with the Brother printer. Press menu, choose Network then press OK. Choose Network Reset, then press OK.

1. Power on the PC - make sure it is near the printer and the router
    2. Insert the CD - the setup should start
    3. When the setup menu appears, click Advanced
    4. Choose Wireless LAN Setup Wizard
    5. Choose Step by Step Install, then Next
    6. Choose With Cable, then Next
    7. Confirm the required notice, then Next
    8. Connect your printer to the router with a cable, then Next
    9. Choose your machine, then Next
    10. The Access Point search will start - select yours
    11. Click Ok on the security screen
    12. Enter your network key - 6AtjPDGGU2enUPMNUDKWAQ9
    13. A confirmation page should print at this point and you should be done with the setup - you can remove the ethernet cable now also.
    Kevin
    Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
    Kevin
    Kevin
    Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist