Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

Wrt54g i cant even fully install the disk because when I get…

Customer Question
wrt54g i cant even fully...
wrt54g i cant even fully install the disk because when I get to the step that says looking for internet connection the error says router unable to connect to internet? I need help!!!!
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/4/2010
Network Technician: Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist replied 8 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today.

What kind of internet connection are you using? Is it DSL or Cable modem?
I think its cable modem because I have a modem that is connected to the cable. Cox high speed internet ps wrt54gv8

If the Linksys says local only, that means it is connected with the computer - that is okay.

Start by resetting the router - make sure no ethernet cords are plugged into it, just the power cord. There is a button on the back - hold it for 15 seconds. The router will reboot.

Turn off your computer and unplug the power cable from your cable modem and router.

• Unplug the Ethernet cable that is connected into the computer. To make sure you are disconnecting the correct cable, it may be helpful to trace the Ethernet cord starting from the cable modem to the computer.

• Securely insert the Ethernet cable you just disconnected into the port labeled "Internet" on the back of the router. The ends of the Ethernet cable have clips that you should feel or hear "click" when inserted. This helps verify that the Ethernet cable is securely fastened. Verify that the other end of the Ethernet cable is still securely fastened into the cable modem as well.
  • Securely insert one end of a second Ethernet cable into any of the remaining open ports on the router. Securely insert the other end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet port of your computer; this is the same port you disconnected the Ethernet cable from in step 2. The ends of the Ethernet cable have clips that you should feel or hear "click" when inserted. This helps verify that the Ethernet cable is securely fastened.

• Restart your network in this correct sequence:
    1. Plug the power cable into the cable modem and wait 2 minutes.
    2. Plug the power cable into the router.
    3. Turn on your computer.
  • Once the computer is finshed loading, your internet connection should be active - the installation disc is not needed.

If you would like to enable security for your wireless network, here are the steps to do it:

Open a browser on your computer and enter this address:

http://192.168.1.1

Leave the username blank and enter admin for the password.

Click on Security from the menu, then under Security mode, select WPA. Under algorithm, select TKIP. Under WPA Shared Key, enter a password ***** at least 8 characters and save the settings.

This password ***** be needed when connecting wireless devices - you will be prompted for it when you try to connect. Your network is now secure.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Kevin, LAN/WAN Specialist