Engineer Lee
Engineer Lee, Network Administrator
Experience:  18+ years professional computer experience; MCP/Cisco/Server /SQL/VB/Unix/VAX/etc training & exp.
23388470

My wireless was installed my mediacom, our cable co. They

My wireless was installed my mediacom, our cable co. They told me I needed to call you to get my password. Can you help me? I have a 26-character code that I was given by the tech, but it is not working. Is that the password? I am trying to add a computer to our internet. UGH! Thanks, Tracey
Category: Networking
Expert:  Engineer Lee replied 7 years ago.
Tracey,

Can you please tell me what brand and model your router is?

With a 26 character code, that would tell me it is configured with 128-bit WEP encryption.

We might be able to use a better encryption with an easier to remember password.

Let me know.

Lee
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is it Netgear Wireless cable modem Gateway CG814WG v2? The router is the white box that says Netgear I am guessing....... I'm not very knowledgeable about all this. Tracey
No problem. For the Netgear, the following should get you where you need.

Open a web browser and type the router IP address which would be either http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1 (by default, refer to your product documentation to determine the default IP address.) in the address bar and press Enter.
The Login window will be prompting for a Username and Password. The default Username is admin and the default Password XXXXX password

Click Wireless Settings under Setup menu.

The "key" will be displayed in the Pre-Shared Key (PSK) field if using WPA encryption.

If using WEP encryption, you will use the characters in the Key 1 field.