Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

What does it mean when my computer tells me there is another

Customer Question
computer on network with same...
What does it mean when my computer tells me there is another computer on network with same ip addres?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
12/7/2009
Network Technician: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer

Can you tell us if you have more than one computer connected to your router?

Thanks

its a wireless router, so sometimes , is this why?

Ok,

basically when you have more than one machine connected the other machine can capture an IP address and when you then try to connect your computer it can try and connect and it will then see the IP adress is already in use.

What is happeining is htat something else on yoru network is fighting your machine fro the same IP address.

Does this happen often?

Thanks

no this is the first time i just wanted to make sure im not being hacked into

ok,

Can you tell me what type of wireless router youa re using and do you know if it is serup with a password XXXXX stop connections to your wireless without your authorization?

Thanks

is a linksys and i dont know if its secure it doesnt ask for a pasword

Ok,

In that case to be sure your wireless is not being "borrowed" by a neighbour you may wish to secure it.

To do that can you can you go to a machine that can get online through the router using a hardwire then click Start and then Run and in the Run box can you type CMD then hit enter to open a DOS window.

From there can you type ipconfig then hit enter and make a note of the Gateway address which should be something like 192.168.1.1

Once you have that can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it just leave the username blank and enter admin as the password)

When you get logged into the router can you click the Wireless tab then enter a unique Network Name then save your changes.

Once that is saved can you then click the Wireless Security link under the Wireless tab and then choose the type of security you wish to use such as WEP then choose 64bit and enter a 10 digit number in the Key1 box (if in doubt just use your 10 digit phone number with area code) then save your changes.

Once all that is done can you then wait about 2 minutes and see if you can connect your wireless machines using the password XXXXX just set and see if you can get online.

Let me know how you get on or if you have any issues

Thanks

Should i be concerned that my computer may be compromised? because of this ip sharing

Ok,

If you have neighbours that are using your wireless internet connection, your machine may be fine, however even if they are just stealing your internet connection you stand a risk of infection if they download a network virus, As when their machine becomes infected it will look for other machines it can connect to that it can then infect, yours being one of them.

Also if other people are stealing your connection you may not be getting the speed you are paying for as they are using some of your connection speed.

If it was me I would go ahead and secure the connection

Just try the instructions I sent and let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer