Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

how do I secure my westell 327W

Customer Question
how do I secure my westell 327W
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
11/29/2009
Network Technician: Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer replied 8 years ago
Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer

Can you confirm you just have the Westell unit connected to your machine and that you do not have an additional router.

Thanks

I do not have it connected with a cable, but I found the cable

Ok,

So you just have your computer connected to teh Westell and nothing else, Is that correct?

I just want to make sure it is the Westell modem we need to configure and not a different router?

Also can you tell me who your internet provider is?

Thanks

I am accessing the router, but don't have a physical connection. I can plug in the cable if you want. I think i found the right place. Verizon is out provider

Ok,

Can you turn the Westell unit over and tell me exactly what is written on the label on the base of the modem.

Then can you connec the hardwire from your machine to the E1 port on your Westell unit then reboot your machine and see if you can get online so we can check the settings on the modem.

graphic

Let mw know

Thanks

how do i get back to you after I reboot?

Ok,

Just click the link in the email you ahould have received or just come back to justanswer.com and it will bring you back here.

Thanks

will reboot now
I have restarted

Ok,

Can you tell me what is on the label on the bottom of the westell.

Thanks

Model 890-327w5-06 Rev D

do you want more?

No that should do it,

Can you click Start then in the search box can you type CMD then hit enter to open a DOS window.

From there can you type ipconfig then hit enter and make a note of the Gateway address which should be something like 192.168.1.1

Once you have that can you open a Internet Explorer Window and type the gateway address in the following format http://192.168.1.1 then hit enter to open the routers login page.

When prompted type your admin username and password ( If you have not changed it can you type admin as the username and password XXXXX the password)

Once logged into the router can you then click Configuration then choose wireless then choose security

Once the page opens can you then choose the type of security you want, such as WEP then enter a 10 digit number such as your phone number in the passphrase box then click Save.

Once you have done can you wait approximately 2 minutes then try to connect to your wireless network using the new password XXXXX just set by clicking start then connect to and selecting your network then choosing connect and entering the password.

try that and let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

i'm starting now -- will let you knoW

Ok,

Just let me know if you have any issues

Thanks

i get a list of pages and links not a prompt for a password. I am using the ipv4 number.

Ok,

Can you tell me what the IPV4 number is?

Thanks

192.168.1.47

Ok,

Can you try with 192.168.1.1 and let me know what happens

Thanks

a lot of page links - most offering help

Ok,

when you typed the ipconfig command can you tell me if you got a default gateway number?

Thanks

yes 192.168.1.1

Ok,

so if you click this link http://192.168.1.1 what happens?

Thanks

Getting c;oser -- goes to VersaLink Wireless Gateway with 3 sections: 1- My network ..unknown name... 2- My gateway ...Connection type PPP, Username duboisjr1 IP address 72.75.16.218 3-My network ... Connect type Unkown ip address 192.168.1.47

Ok,

Do you have a toolbar accross the top?

If not can you tell me what options you have?

Thanks

I guess ...

back Ask Search Web, a key hole with down arrows on either side, highlight, more>> , X, windows flag, box with Bing and magnifying glass, >> Sign in

Nextlinw Favorites, Star with arrow, Web Slice Gallery,

Next line tabs with quesion -- on right House, arrow, mail, print, page, safty, tools,?

Ok,

Does anything look like the toolbar in this screen shot?

graphic

Thanks

No, but I did get to one with Main, Wireless Settings,My Network, Firewall Settings, Advanced and System Monitoring

Great,

Can you choose Wireless settings and then let me know if you can then click security and follow the directions I posted

Let me know

Thanks

I get 401 Authorization Required -- I tried admin and password

Then I tried verizon acct id and password XXXXX same results

Damn,

That means you are going to have to call verizons tech support to get the login information as we cannot reset it to factory and I have no idea what the login will be.

If you can follow this link then choose callus and enter your zip it will give you the correct phone number for support http://www22.verizon.com/content/ContactUs/

Let me know how you get on

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer
Verizon took care of it --- Thank you for your time

More than welcome,

If we can be of any help in the future please let us know

Thanks

Claws224, IEEE Network Engineer