Networking

Ask computer networking questions and get answers ASAP

How could I increase the speed of data transfer between the…

Customer Question
How could I increase the...
How could I increase the speed of data transfer between
the NAS and my laptop.
Network's layout:
NAS -> Cat6 Ethernet straight patch cable 25 meters -> Router -> Cat6 Ethernet crossover cable 2 meters -> DELL XPS M1530 laptop.
OR
NAS -> Cat6 Ethernet straight patch cable
25 meters -> DELL XPS M1530 laptop.
No matter which layout I use, the speed does not exceed 17
Mbits/s (I am aware of the difference between bits/s and
bytes/s and I use Netmeter to monitor my network and internet speed). However, when I replace the DELL with another older laptop (ACER), the speed jumps to 27 Mbits/s. So the first problem is configuring the DELL to reach at least 27 Mbits/s.
The second problem is why is data transfer utilizing only
27% of the bandwith. I know that utilizing 100% of the
bandwidth is difficult, albeit not impossible, I would be satisfied if the transfer rate reaches 85 Mbits/s. What are the necessary changes needed to increase the transfer speed?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Networking
11/14/2009
Network Technician: John P, Consultant replied 8 years ago
John P
John P, Consultant

So let's talk about this for a moment. No matter what the transfer speed to the network is you are going to be limited to how much data the NAS can receive based upon its amount of memory and also the number of disks in the NAS. Tell me more about the NAS. I'm assuming you are using CIFS for file shares.

Thanks,

Dear John,

I don't know what CIF is, and let me describe my NAS. It is a Digitial Video Recorder (DVR) that can record from any video source to the internal hard disk. For a complete description please refer to the post I've written http://www.q8blackmarket.com/2009/10/review-1-tb-media-hdd-pro.html. It is the last post, and under the name of SISI. Or you may refer to the manual http://senduit.com/ddae13. The reason I call it NAS is because it has an internal hard disk and connects to my home network via ethernet. Am I correct to call it NAS?

The fastest rate I have ever managed to acheive copying files from the DVR to my laptop was using a USB cable and it was 20 Mbytes/s, so if the hard disk can sustain 160 Mbits/s using USB, it must be the NIC on either the DVR or laptop or both that limits the speed to sub-100 Mbits/s, am I correct?

The importance of acheiving high data transfer rates is due to the size of files being copied. The typical file is 4.7 Gbytes (a 2 hour recorded movie from the satellite receiver at DVD quality). Theoretically it should take around 8 mins at 85 Mbits/s to copy this 4.7 Gbytes movie, but it currently takes more than 42 mins to copy that same file!

Looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Karim

Karim,

You are correct in referring to the device as a NAS as it is connected to you network. I'm glad we clarified.

You are transferring the files from Vista?

to Vista with Service Pack 2 and 4 GB RAM.

Okay let's try something first. Do you know how to run the command line with elevated privileges?

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/02/17/how-to-open-elevated-command-prompt-with-administrator-privileges-in-windows-vista/

There's a few ways to do it there. I want to turn off autotuning to see if it helps.

After opening the command line, please enter the following command:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuning=disabled

Please do not click accept until we actually get your transfer speed up.

I have disabled autotuning and no improvement.

Karim
Did you reboot?
I have rebooted after you asked and there was no improvement.

Have you tried disabling firewalls or security software?

I have disabled the only two pieces of software I could think of

1. ESET Smart Securtiy v4.xxxxxx
2. Windows Defender

and still no improvement.

Hi, I'm going to Opt Out now as I am out of time for a few hours. Another Expert will assist you shortly. You'll be emailed when this happens so you are not needlessly waiting around.

Thanks,

Don't worry, I'll log out now to go to sleep in a short while. By the way, what time zone are you in? I am GMT +3
GMT -5
Dear John,

I am online and have 3 hours before I go to sleep. Hope to meet before then.

Karim

I'm online now. I found the issue. The problem isn't with the network. It's with the processor built into the NAS device to handle the network traffic (packetizing, error correction, flow, setup/breakdown, etc.) So you will almost always see these rates unless you move to a server or desktop based NAS system with a better processor and onboard memory. I conferred with a Senior Sys Engineer at a storage company last night and he concurs. The difference between your other laptop and the new could be a number of factors, and I have no way to know how you baselined the test.

USB is serial so the data transfer takes significantly less processing.

Please post back with your questions.

John P
John P, Consultant
Here is what I understood: the bottleneck to reaching a higher transfer rate with my DVR is the onboard processors, RAM, etc (configuration in short). So unless these components are changed, I cannot acheive any speed improvement. Is this correct? Since changing the DVR/NAS' components or even tweaking its settings is impossible (can you believe that I could not log into this NAS using TELNET or the NETSHELL?) I have no choice but to accept the 25 Mbits/s I squeeze out of it.

Onto the second part. I am determined to increase the speed of the DELL laptop from the current 15 Mbits/s to 25 Mbits/s especially that my older ACER laptop and my sister's HP laptop can acheive it. Tell me what do I need to do and I will do it. Would you like to start with the advanced settings of the Ethernet card, I can type them out for you and you tell me what choice to choose for each?

When you say "baselined the test" do you mean perform the test? If I am correct then refer to the attached diagramNetwork layout

I use a utility named Netmeter http://www.hootech.com/NetMeter/ to monitor the speed my ethernet card and another utility named Teracopy http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php to monitor the speed of file transfer regardless of the source and destination; intra-pc and inter-pc.

Okay, so let's start with your questions. First, you are correct that the limitation for the transfer is bottlenecked due to the configuration of the physical components of the DVR device. Second, let's talk perform a simple test. Can you setup a share on your ACER laptop and also on your DELL laptop and test a file transfer from both directions (not simulateneously) to each machine. Please monitor the transfer speed on both transfers. I would recommend using a decent sized file (at least 400MB). Post back with the results.

John,

The transfer rates are in the text files referred to by the links:

1. DELL running Vista: http://senduit.com/a18938
2. ACER running Win XP: http://senduit.com/daf931

I copied a 1GB file to and from the DVR from each laptop as per your request.

I'm going to bed now, so good night and talk to you tomorrow.

Karim
Dear John,

I have a lot of work to finish for tomorrow, so I don't know when will I be free to meet you online. Once I am ready, I will let you know.

Karim
Dear John,

I've just returned home (it is 9:25 pm) and I am too tired to continue with my question so I'll have to pass today. By the look of it, I will be very busy until the weekend (Friday) so lets agree that I we will not meet again until Friday morning, however, if I do manage to find the time before then, I will let you know.

Karim
Dear John,

I have half an hour before I go to sleep, would you like to continue or are we going to need more time?

Karim

I just got this reply. I have some time right now. We can try to change the MTU. If you go to the Windows Menu, Accessories and Right click on the Command Prompt select run as Administrator, then type the following line:

netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces

Please tell me what the MTU is set to on your active connection.

Dear John,

I'm back and here is the result of the network shell command

MTU MediaSenseState Bytes In Bytes Out Interface
------ --------------- --------- --------- -------------(###) ###-#### 1 0 33129 Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
1400 5 0 0 WLAN
1500 1 (###) ###-#### 331159 LAN
Goodmorning John,

I am online and hope to meet you today.

Karim
Dear John,

I've have to go now. Awaiting your new instructions.

Karim
Dear John,

I haven't heard from you in while; I hope you are well. Please excuse me for disappearing but I was ill and quite busy. I am feeling better and hope the work load eases in the period to come.

Do you have suggestions about how we should go about continuing our tests?

Karim
Dear John,

I am online and hope to meet you today.

Karim