Networking

Ask Computer Networking Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Networking

my wireless LAN is disabled and I cannot enable it from the

control panel...
my wireless LAN is disabled and I cannot enable it from the control panel
8/26/2009
AFFalcon
AFFalcon, LAN/WAN Engineer
Thanks for looking to JustAnswer..... I will be happy to assist you with the wireless issue. Let me ask a couple of questions to make sure I am clear.

1. Your wireless on your PC/Laptop is disabled? If so can you tell me how you know?
2. Can you tell me the make and model of your system?
3. Are you connected straight to your modem or do you have another router in between, if so what is the make and model of that device?

Regards
Larry

when I scroll over the WLAN on the bottom right hand corner of my laptop screen, it says WLAN disabled.

I have an HP Pavilion laptop.

I am connected straight to the modem right now.

Great.... So when you right mouse click on the WLAN on the bottom right does it have an option to enable?

If not does your Pavilion have the wireless switch that turns your NIC on and off. It should be located on the front edge of the laptop?

Let me know if one of these two options work

Regards
Larry

When I right click, it gives me the HP wireless assistant which say "installed wireless devices and says:
This device has been disabled by the wireless button. To enable this device, press on wireless button. More information...

I don't believe that I have a wireless button and if I do, I don't know where it is.

Look on the front bottom edge of your system. There should be a small button for your Wireless and I believe it should be to the right for on.

If this does not work I have also found some info from HP which will reset your wireless back to factory settings:

1.Turn off and restart your computer.
2.Press F10 to enter the System BIOS Settings.
3.Select F9 (Setup Defaults) and when it asks Load Default Configuration Now? , Enter YES.
4.Press F10 (Save and Exit) and when it asks Save Configuration Changes And Exit Now, Enter YES.

This should restore the wireless LAN button to its original factory settings. Once you restart the computer the button will be listed as disabled, but press on the button and it should work again.

Let me know if this works
Regards
Larry
I found the wireless button and now my WLAN is on. I think that it will probably work if I just plug the modem into the back of the wireless router, right? I don't want to disconnect it until you tell me that it should work. Thank you so much for your help. Ten years ago, when I got out of college, I was teaching everyone how to do things on their computers and now I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing anymore...
Yes that is it!!! That is great news.. Keep those directions handy. I have seen where several HP have needed to have that wireless in BIOS reset. You have a GREAT system there so please don't think I am saying it is not... All computers have quirks.

Just let me know if there is anything else.
Regards
Larry
AFFalcon
AFFalcon, LAN/WAN Engineer
AFFalcon
AFFalcon
AFFalcon, LAN/WAN Engineer